Rune Hierarchy

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Asquian

Rune Hierarchy

Post by Asquian »

I don't really know WHERE to put this thread but..

I'm trying to compile a list of the rune hierarchy. That is to say, The true runes, their spawns, and other runes created or spawned and down.

I.E.
Soul Eater
Darkness

or
True Water
Flowing
Water
Water Rune Piece
or
True Fire
Rage
Sword of RAge
Fire
Fire Rune Piece
Fire Lizard(?)
Hate(Fire based physical attack)(?)
or
Gate Rune(Front/Back)
Pale/Blue Gate
Blinking(?)
actually that might go
Front Gate
Pale/Blue Gate
and
Back GAte
Blinking

and so on.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The idea that all runes come from a True Rune is only metaphoric, because we know some runes are man-made and thus could not have come from a true rune (such as the Spider Slay and Falcon runes).

All we know for sure are the elemental true runes, the Souleater/Darkness higherarchy, the Gate/Blue Gate hierarchy, and the Bright Shield/Shield hierarchy.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

The true runes allow for runes to exist period. Yes men make up runes, but they still have to have a source of power for which to empower the rune. Spider slay, boar, falcon, phoenix, Shrike, etc. are all unique man made runes, but there has to be a source that their power derives from. Maybe some runes draw on more than one true rune for their power sources, like a combination of essences.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, true runes allow the existence of everything in the suikoden world--including runes. However, my point is that many runes are not directly "created" from true runes. They can be created by men though archaic means.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Ok, I'll take the risk and possibly end up looking like a complete idiot, but where exactlly does it say that man made any of the runes???

Isn't it possible that some runes even though not allpowerful are still unique? Spiderslay for example could just be your one-of-a-kind average rune.

As for the whole "archaic means", are you reffering to Crowley? Is he or others like him actually capable of CREATING runes, or even just copying a rune's physiology? Maybe they just appeared on the Suiko region, by means of a meteor shower or something? :?

Not sure if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to justify man making runes anywhere in the saga.
Squ

Post by Squ »

Don't forget that all runes originated from the Rune of Beginning.

The Bright shield Rune and Black Sword Rune were the first 2 true runes.

If we take a closer look at the hierarchy, we can determine 3 levels.

Upper: The 27 true runes.
Mid: Thunder, Mother Earth, Cyclone, Rage
Lower: All other + manmade runes.

I don't think there is a hierarchy among the true runes. Although there should be something Konami hasn't revealed yet... a deeper, darker, more powerful link to the Runes... (Maybe in Suikoden VII or Suikoden Online).
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Actually, all True Runes originated from either "Sword" or "Shield" (Sword and Shield originated from "Darkness"). The Rune of Beginning is just one of these True Runes, it is not The True Rune. Nor is it the originator of the True Runes.

Black Sword and Bright Shield are the two aspects of the Rune of Beginning, and they are not True Runes. (They don't even grant agelessness.)

Could you possibly provide a link as to where you got this information?
(Just for laughs.)
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The mythology of creation should only be taken as a "story." It's similar to how we have various "creation myths" in our world, but only religious fanatics take those as being stone solid facts. This is also true with the creation story in the Suikoden world.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Gah, damn this one is old. Jowy forgot to mention (well distinguish) that the "Sword" and the "Shield" are not "The Black Sword Rune" and the "The Bright Shield Rune". If you read into it its obvious but then again so was the legend in the book yet many people missed it out (myself included until recently).

I think SARS is right on this one as the Darkness, Sword and Shield sound more like symbols rather than literal objects. The true nature of the creation of the runes is yet to be revealed or possibly never told by Konami.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

SARSadmin wrote:The mythology of creation should only be taken as a "story." It's similar to how we have various "creation myths" in our world, but only religious fanatics take those as being stone solid facts. This is also true with the creation story in the Suikoden world.
yup its not an actuall fact..its just like some people believe humans come from monkeys and some dont think it
bla
Luko

Post by Luko »

Actually there are facts supporting that we evolved from apes..not monkeys. And the only people who don't believe that would be agian really religous people. Unlike suikoden where there are no real facts that say a sword and a shield created everything.
You call that an army? Where's your castle?
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

yeah but i actually dont mean apes..i really mean monkeys..alot believe that
bla
Luko

Post by Luko »

>.> anyone that thinks that needs to be shot.
You call that an army? Where's your castle?