103 in Japan?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Kcirtap1990

103 in Japan?

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

In the original Japanesse version of Suikoden were there only 103 Stars?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Huh? Where did you hear that? Of course they have 108 stars.
Kcirtap1990

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

Good my friend, said 108 was an unlucky number in Japan. He lived there for 5 years, but he faced off to a Suikoden fan, and was beat. Haha
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

108 an unlucky number? How can that be? It is a sacred number--it represents the 108 vices in Buddhism, and that is why Buddhist prayer beads have 108 beads. Typically, a devout buddhist will chant their mantra 108 times while they rotate the beads. When they are done, they would come back to the first bead (which is shaped differently, so you know when you're chanting with your eyes closed).

The original story of Shui Hu Zhuan (Suikoden in Japanese) was written during times when Buddhism was somewhat mainstream in China, and thus the 108 stars are most likely based on tha 108 vices.
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

Not to mention the only unlucky number in Japan is 4 (which happens to be my fav. number but hey).

SK
FF6Sage

Post by FF6Sage »

I thought 9 was also considered unlucky?
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

4 is considered unlucky because one of the ways to say it is "shi" which is also the word for death. So it's kind of ominous. So they usually use 'yon' to say it:)
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, 9 is also unlucky because it is pronounced "ku" which can mean "suffering." For these reasons, many hospitals don't have a 4th floor, and some don't have a 9th floor in Japan.
Hork

Post by Hork »

In 1984, when Montreal Expos legend Warren Cromartie signed with the Yomiuri Giants baseball club he had no trouble keeping the same number he wore in Montreal...#49.

The number of Suffering and Death...

He didn't have bad luck though as he went on to hit 35 homers that year, I'm going to go and assume he gained mastery over the number after recruiting the 108 All-Stars of Destiny which ended the curse.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

Sars wrote:Yeah, 9 is also unlucky because it is pronounced "ku" which can mean "suffering." For these reasons, many hospitals don't have a 4th floor, and some don't have a 9th floor in Japan.
I thought the number 9 is pronounced "kyu-" almost sounding like the english Q. At least thats how ive been corrected many times when in japan...
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

You guys are so smart! Hey I have a question, about the buddah people praying with 108 beads and closing their eyes. Don't they ever doze off and fall asleep?? I would.. I don't know how they can take it. ANd I think number 6 is a bad luck number.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

apoligies to sars lol. you just simply meant that the number nine had two different words as 4 does i.e yon shi. and 9 ku and kyu (ku and shi not being the right choises of course) apolgies to you sars :P
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Not related to S1, but my friend said 4th floors in japan are replaced by the letter F. Is it true?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Most buildings have 4th floors in Japan. However, hospitals and some other types of buildings will simply not have a 4th floor. It just goes from third to fifth.

And "ku" is used instead of "kyu" for numbers like "39" - "sanjyuku." Of course, it can also be said as "sanjyukyu" but a lot of Japanese people will omit the "y."
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Uh, so meaning, the floor above the 3rd floor in some of those buildings is technically the 4th floor, but it's called the 5th floor, is that right? Or is there an empty floor above the 3rd floor before the 5th? I hope my question doesn't sound dumb..