A more..modern Suikoden?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Einlanzer

Post by Einlanzer »

It'd be fun, having the character run around with a gun (I'm trying to make a GTA FFX-2 mix). But since we're gonna use rune powers, well, that's another story.

I was thinking you would get to 'jack' cars, kill police and rack wanted levels and maybe a personal change of clothing?
What? What? I hope you are joking. That garbage of a game Final Fantasy X-2 has rotted your brain!

Then again.. I'm not suprised other things did too:
Kingdom Hearts: Fin. Time: 42 hours.
Final Fantasy X-2: 94% playing NG+
Kingdom Hearts 2: December 15 2005 check it out
Kingdom Hearts Manga: Released.
AND i'm a GUY!! Geez...

haha I'm just giving you shoot, it's easy to pick on me too, so I'm sorry man/woman?

but in conclusion, a modern Suikoden would just be to damn strange compared to the other time frames and styles it went through, it maybe a new innovative step for an RPG, but still ridiculous lol.
HairyMonekyNuts

Post by HairyMonekyNuts »

if they finish up the olden days theme they should make a modern suikoden. after they finish the current timeline that is...something along the lines of.... lets say... in the final suikoden the true runes go out of control and blows up half the world causing the continents to break apart. kinda like what happened in everquest2.(main characters die) so the world goes into a dark age period. it goes on for a couple of hundred years. after the dark ages people forget about the true runes cause they vanished in the final fight that caused the continents to blow. so by this time the people are only begining to rebuild. start new culturs and everything. thousand years later something happens that reawakens the true runes and the normal runes. lets just say that the normal runes were just laying around so people didnt know about their powers. they just though the runes were rocks. so lets say a college student who just happens to be a skilled martial artist finds a big rock.but its diffirent its alot more powerful. then for some reason leknaat shows up... blah blah blah.... hes the new tenkai and hes not the only one who found these powerful rocks. some are good and some are bad. and the writers could make up the rest... people could easily make these things up. so theres no telling what the writers will come up with.... ill shut up now...
moneky is suppose to be monkey... i was just to lazy to make a new account.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:
P.S I'll leave it to your imagination of what Jeane would be in a modern suikoden.
Yeah...Jeane would be an exotic dancer during the night, and a tarot card reading psychic during the day, who does victorias's secret modeling jobs on weekends sometimes. And Viki would be a flight attendant, who often catches a cold. XD! Sorry, I had to say that.

But, In all seriousness, I would hate a modern Suikoden. It works for Final Fantasy, and I wouldn't like the idea of Harmonian soldiers wielding tasers and galactic goo guns, while Zexen uses laser guns and special goo-defying armor, and the Tenkai has to use his or her "True Technology Rune" to stop the war. I like this medeival theme, where bits and pieces of technology show sometimes, but overall, it is very old-fashioned, with a lot of magic that rules the world.

And, as a matter of fact, I thought Suikoden IV went a little too far with the Rune Cannons. I was like "...it's 150 years BEFORE theoriginal, and they have THIS kind of technology!?" Even though it is stated that Rune Cannons are thus far banned, it still runed the feeling of a much less technologically advanced time period. I REALLY don't want Suikoden to develop to be all futuristic and mechanical.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
LunasMeow

Post by LunasMeow »

Well, it could work, but it wouldn't be easy to make it modern and give it a suikoden feel. Perhaps you could still have monsters? Some kind of disease that causes genetic mutation or something equally unlikely? Who knows. But I do know that the idea of a modern Suikoden is appealing but only if done right. NO GTA STYLE!!!
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

LunasMeow wrote:Well, it could work, but it wouldn't be easy to make it modern and give it a suikoden feel. Perhaps you could still have monsters? Some kind of disease that causes genetic mutation or something equally unlikely? Who knows. But I do know that the idea of a modern Suikoden is appealing but only if done right. NO GTA STYLE!!!
If you got the genetic mutation thing, then we're talking Resident Evil. And like son_michael suggested that it would be some sort of gangster thing, then i assumed he was talking about GTA.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
LunasMeow

Post by LunasMeow »

Yeah, it was king of RE wasn't it? Well, it was just an example, and it was the first thing to come to mind. I didn't like the idea when I wrote it simply because it sounded so... I dunno, cliche?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I would like to see the modern Suikoden as this:

1. The protagonist is a high school or college student who excels in his class and also a good, slightly old-fashioned boy so his schoolmates terrorized him almost everyday, so he became such a coward that he gets being terrorized that often.

2. One day, he saw an old woman begging him for food, and since he is kind-hearted, he gave some of his lunch to her, and that night while sleeping, he saw a beautiful woman in white robes (I guess that's Leknaat)
and he was told that because of his kind heart he was chosen to save the world of Suikoden (1500 yrs after S4 perhaps) from a new breed of political and world imbalance. He at first disagreed to it, so Leknaat gave her time to think about it.

3. When he thought it over, he realized that he needs to help the suiko world, so he sets out finding for companions. He tried to look for some, but after such persuasion to all who he knew, he only got three companions: his household helper, his equally kind but a fantasy story buff best friend and his beautiful twin sister who is the secret love interest of the protagonist since childhood. Of course they need weapons for this mission, so they choose their weapons according to their tastes and masteries. Protagonist has a gun and a knife tied up together to make an improvised gunblade (it's supposed to be only a gun, but bestfriend suggested that he should take a sharp object with him); bestfriend has a two-handed sword his ancestors have left him, being the only male left among his clan (the twins' father died shortly before the mission, so their uncle was taking care of them since then); twin Sis has a set of playing cards(unlike Rina's which are some kind of tarot cards), because he likes to play cards; and the maid, because of her bloody shocked reaction, hurriedly took for herself the cooking pans in their house(like Hai Yo, eh?)!

4. They set out for Suikoverse via a portal situated several hundred paces from the city, but they are met by a lady assassin and a notorious criminal who tried to rob them, but they managed to defeat them, but Leknaat also chose him to go with the four, because she senses that they aren't by nature bad people but are merely victims of the harsh modern world. Then they are also seen by one of those who bullied hero. He's actually the son of the assassin. He persuaded her mother to let him go with her, and then she reluctantly agreed. The six reached Suikoverse and there, the hero was given a True Rune and in addition, his companions can be possibly given the elemental True Sword Runes STFR for the assassin, STLR for the son, STWndR for bestfriend, STWtrR for the bestfriend's twin, and STER for the notorious criminal. Their weapons are either changed or upgraded. The difference of these runes from normal sword runes perhaps is that they can void and even absorb the damage from the same element each rune has. That makes L1- Weapon enchant with element, L2- half damage from element, L3?- zero damage from element, and L4?- absorb damage from element

Hero has a magical sword that lengthens and becomes more intact with the object where it is attached as it is sharpened bit by bit. It starts out as small as a knife, and ends up as long as Flik's sword;
Bestfriend will later receive the Star Dragon Sword to help him in saving a town, and the suiko world from an evil demon in the form of a vampire(somewhere when the enemies' level is 40+);
Assassin will have a dual-dagger-type of weapon, his son likes to go on barefist fighting, so he has now a knuckle-type weapon;
The criminal likes to smash bottles when fighting, but it's kind of illogical to do that in suiko battles, so he will be given a club called the Morning Star.
Twin Sister will have unlimited supply of cards
Oh, I forgot the maid! Well, she can be of some use to the hero's base.
She will be the official cook of the base, and the people there would like to try the foods which the modern world eat.

5. Luc will perhaps possess bestfriend's body so he can continue his plan of fighting against destiny(geez, do I really make Luc as rebellious as he is?), so that is the secondary problem of this story. Saving the Suiko world is the primary one.

6. Former characters? I agree that Jeane will be a dancer, Viki getting used to her mistake, and this time it's really a mistake, since it will be set 1500 yrs after S4! We also like to have descendants of former Suiko characters like protagonists of earlier games and that of clans such as the Windamier and Silverburg clans. Somehow there will always be connects of the past to the present and to the future and vice versa.

Whew, that's all I have to say, and now I'm broke, I guess I musn't put on too much time on the Net. That kind of hobby can destroy me, you know.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

i think suikoden could do modern, but not in our world. Due to its very nature suikoden is not part of our world, so its stupid to think that it will advance in the same way our world has done.

the technological advancements would prehaps be runic or dwarf based, and in some cases sindarin (though hopefully not all).

if konami doesnt just jump straight to the future we can see the history and understand it, which will keep the feel of the suikoverse in tact.

As for Harmonia being the driving force is highly doubtfull, theyve usually got a civil war to keep them occupied, its more likely to come from Duncan/ tohran concidering they seem to be more peaceful.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I don't think the idea of a modern Suikoden would fit in with the Suikoden feel, the emphasis of their technology is on Runes and True Runes, alchemy and in some cases hybrids of Runic and Alchemic technology.
It would defeat the purpose of the importance of True Runes if technology became a prominent power, the only way I would really like modern technology to be more prominent than Runic technology would be if in the final Suikoden all the True Runes are sealed forever in an ancient Sindarian Ruin, or destroyed in a True Rune war. That way it would show how the world needed to modernise in order to survive in a world without Runic power.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Big thread--didn't read it all-- so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but has anybody considered, instead of modern times, setting Suikoden in a sort of steam-age era? Kind of pre-industrial revolution?

Anyone who's playd the game Arcanum should have a vage idea of what I mean. I think that could conceivably work well. All-in-all though I'd rather they stick with the vaguely medieval times.
Alex Delferia

Post by Alex Delferia »

jeane is the coolest char wrote:i don't think magic + modern time really mix well :(
Two words: Shadow Hearts.

Though I truly agree --- Suikoden =/= Fantasy? That's like saying a Gundam anime happens in the medieval era.
Alastor

Re: A more..modern Suikoden?

Post by Alastor »

DeadStreetApostle wrote: In Suikoden 2 (1999) while in Greenhill if you walk to the set of yellow(?) flowers on the first right side path and check on them some dialogue will come up and say "Dahlias" as in the kind of flower you're looking at. checking 2 or 3 sets of flowers more to the right will give you the dialogue " Dahlia Gillespie" referencing the old woman from the Silent Hill series! I thought that was purdy damn cool ;D~ Silent Hill rocks.

MY QUESTION FINALLY 'CAUSE I TOOK FOREVER: Since Konami took the risk in taking Suikoden way back when to the past, would it make any sense to see a more modern Suikoden set in today's time? True Rune users/Solid Snake/Alucard Stars of Destiny anyone? >_>;; Wishful thinking.
God i pressed search for Dahlia so it is not necessary to open new topic.
I didnt get relation between Meryl cause i didnt know her surname is Silverburgh, but that would be to big coincidence?

So nice of you to see it, u realy have good eye. :wink:
SpecialNewb

Re: A more..modern Suikoden?

Post by SpecialNewb »

A little OT, but I guess look at some of various alternate history series, for example the Darkness series by Turtledove which is WW2 set on a planet with magic. A "modern" Suikoden in that kind of vein could be interesting (though Turtledove's writing gets really repetitive in style). It also might be able to get rune-cannnons done without making a lot of people angry.
soonket

Post by soonket »

well... a modern suikoden might be a cool one for me.. not with the GTA settings of course but instead abit like the final fantasy 8 setting... and the storyline is before the sindars start to wander to seek for their watever city and dis series will tell us y the sindar wan to wander haha... seriously isn't tat cool ?!?! xD