Rune of punishement and immortality

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Basel

Rune of punishement and immortality

Post by Basel »

Hi,

In Suikoden III after you meet Lilly and she asked about the FC, she said:
"All of the True Runes have one power in common. Immortality! One who uses a rune will never grow orld."
How does this apply to the Rune of Punishement? There were more than one person holding the Rune before Suikoden IV Hero and they vanished.

I fished suikoden IV with only 90 SoD, so please if there is a spoiler make it clear.
Last edited by Basel on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Everybody else (except for the Hero, depending on which ending you get), used the powers of the Rune of Punishment too much and it drained the life right out of them, causing them to turn to ash and disappear.

The same happens to the Hero if you don't get all 108 SoDs.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Isn't that contradicting with the common power that all the Runes has?
Geddo posses a True Rune and he never dies. However, the holder of the Rune of Punishement vanishes with time. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I wrote something that is not true.
Mintalia

Post by Mintalia »

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Rune of Punishment will allow its user to live forever without aging... but, only if the bearer never uses it. If someone uses it, it will suck the life out of them... and if ithey keep using it, the rune will kill them.

It's kind of like the Soul Eater stealing the life from other people... only, the Rune of Punishment steals the life from it's owner. Never use the rune, though, and you'll live forever. ^_^
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

The original nature of the Rune of Punishment is to drain the life of its host while in the Atonement stage of its desire. Each bearer before the Hero of Suikoden 4 only managed to remain in the Atonement phase. So, each time they used the Rune of Punishment it slowly drained away their lives. If you recruit all 108 Stars of Destiny, the Rune of PUnishment will go into its Forgiveness phase and will no longer drain the Hero's life away.

Therefore, he will no longer have to worry about the Rune of PUnishment draining away his essence and then he will be able to live on in immortality. So, yes, all True Runes grant immortality, but the Rune of Punishment is a "cursed" True Rune which feeds on its bearers life while in the Atonement phase of its desires, eventhough it still grants immortality, but the bearer has to reach the Forgiveness stage of its desires to live on in immortality.

I hope this answers the questions about the Rune of Punishment.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

No True Rune grants immortality, but they do grant agelessness.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for that. You can still die and all even if you bear a True Rune, you just won't die from getting old.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

True Runes also grant immunity from disease, so dying that way isn't possible either.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

The Rune of Punishment will eat its bearer's life IF and ONLY IF the bearer use its power. Maybe the rune itself has favourite bearer too? Nevertheless, demon eye's answer is reliable.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Well, we don't actually know if it will only consume its bearers life only if it uses the Rune of Punishment's powers. We see Captain Glen suffering quite a bit and he hadn't used its powrs yet. Basically, we don't know when the consuming of life process begins because we really only see it happen when the bearer uses it, but as I stated Captain Glen seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, as did the Hero, before they even used the Rune of Punishment.
Full moon

Post by Full moon »

I have already stated this opinion on another thread, but i will repeat it. The true runes other than the rune of punishment can choose their bearers, but this rune goes to whoever is close. Its killing off of people is similar to the other runes' rejections of the unworthy and its acceptance of the Hero after 108 stars have been recruited is similar to the other runes' specific selections of worthy bearers. Thus, the Hero is saved from the curse and lives a life similar to all other true rune bearers.
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

demon eye wrote:Well, we don't actually know if it will only consume its bearers life only if it uses the Rune of Punishment's powers. We see Captain Glen suffering quite a bit and he hadn't used its powrs yet. Basically, we don't know when the consuming of life process begins because we really only see it happen when the bearer uses it, but as I stated Captain Glen seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, as did the Hero, before they even used the Rune of Punishment.
Well, I've got some information from other forums that, Glen was just a mediator. So it sucks his life even if he don't use it. The Rune was supposed to go to Hero's left hand at first, because Brandeau speaks "Could it be you? The next one?" (something like that). So maybe Glen is at the wrong place and the wrong time.
Akira

Post by Akira »

Joveeno wrote:
demon eye wrote:Well, we don't actually know if it will only consume its bearers life only if it uses the Rune of Punishment's powers. We see Captain Glen suffering quite a bit and he hadn't used its powrs yet. Basically, we don't know when the consuming of life process begins because we really only see it happen when the bearer uses it, but as I stated Captain Glen seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, as did the Hero, before they even used the Rune of Punishment.
Well, I've got some information from other forums that, Glen was just a mediator. So it sucks his life even if he don't use it. The Rune was supposed to go to Hero's left hand at first, because Brandeau speaks "Could it be you? The next one?" (something like that). So maybe Glen is at the wrong place and the wrong time.

That is probaly the case.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Whether the Rune of Punishment meant to move on to the Hero or not probably isn't the issue. Like someone stated, the nature of the Rune of Punishment is to continually move on from bearer to bearer without any sort of choice process, as we have seen in its history. It just chooses the next available person after it consumes the life of the previous bearer.

If the Rune of Punishment had wanted to go right to the Hero it would have, but it passed right on to Glen. So, I don't know if I'd consider him a mediator, but he was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, it could very well be possible that the Rune of Punishment will not consume the bearer's life as long as h/she doesn't use its powers.
son_michael

punishment rune chose hero 4? or did leknaut?

Post by son_michael »

i think the punishment rune chose hero 4

because if you recall the fight with brandeau, hero was the only person in that area that wasnt killed or even affected by the rune{they show some kind of green shield that protects him from it} now either something saved him from it{if thats the case then i strongly believe it was leknaut because she later tells him she will be watching to see how he uses the runes power} or the rune chose to save him because it was tired of brandeau and wanted a new host. it could also be that the rune was fickle and when it saw comander glen arrive it decided at the last minute that he was a better choice than hero and then while inside the commanders body it knew everything the commander knew so it decided hero was the better choice and killed commander glen fast so it could go to him.

I mean if you think about it it dosent really make sense why glen would die after only using it once when all the other holders used it at least once and didnt die{like when you see the little kid tell his dad hes sorry for using the runes power} so i think thats why commander glen died fast

Im unsure whether leknaut saved hero 4 or if the rune was fickle but i think either explanation makes sense.