What happens to the Rune of Punishment? [Spoiler]

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It's still passing it on, either voluntarily or not. That's too bad. He'd probably figure out that he should hold onto it forever to not ruin another person's life, I guess.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It is still passing it on but the specifics are what's important. The rune was not passed on, it drained the life of its current bearer and moved on to another victim. It was not the bearer's will, it was the RoP's. The forgiveness phase of the RoP is the same as all the other True Runes. You just pass it on, and if you've relied on it for extended life you die soon after. But yeah, it seems like Hero4 would just keep the RoP so that nobody else would have to bear its burden. In the end, nobody really knows.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I'll be curious to see where the RoP shows up next in later games - whether Hero 4 keeps it indefinitely or not.

The reason being that Hero 4 and or the RoP hasnt made any appearances previously and I wonder how and if Hero 4 will make a permenant exit from the series or if we'll see him again Like Tir in S2.

I guess that will probably be somewhat dependent on whether S5 ends up continuing after S3 or moves between S4 and S1.
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

Doesn't the rune is still being held by Hero? Because it is stated that the rune will destroy the past bearer before it searches the new one. The Hero's still alive if you get all 108 Stars, you know.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I know - I got 108 stars the first time thru so I havent seen the ending where the Hero dies. I dont feel like i'm missing much - I liked Hero4 - even if he was underdeveloped.

One thing is even if he does survive with the True Rune that doesnt mean he would still be hanging around by S3. It's entirely possible that the reason we havent heard about him before is he may have been killed by another means later on.

Or the more likely reason being that Suikoden team is taking things one step at a time and was sticking to sections of the world map not involving him or he hadnt been conceived untill a point where they would have to make another Suikoden to make his continued presence known.
Full moon

Post by Full moon »

My view on the fate of the rune and hero is that unlike other true runes, which can choose who recieves their power, the rune of punishment goes to whoever is nearest. To make up for this, the rune kills all who are unworthy until a bearer comes along that is worthy to own it, then it lifts the curse by itself and gives the bearer eternal life similar to any other true rune.[/img]
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yeah, which is exactly what happens to Hero4 if you recruit all 108 SoDs.

Also, your avatar is way too big. You should probably fix that before someone makes you a "Bandwidth Thief".
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Kooluk may not even be around by the time of Suikoden so that theory doesn't hold. And it would still be possible to go around.

The reason we haven't seen him in any other game is very simple. He wasn't even thought of when those games were made.
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

ok explain why does the hero actually get forgiveness, in this suikoden game you just end up with the rune and get exiled, you end up in obel where the king takes you in because you have the ROP. Thats it you end up recruiting people, leaving the island, teaming up with some pirates, defend your self from fleets and free 2 towns then end up destroying a castle which i dont understand, is that supposed to be the whole of koolo empire, wheres the koolo king that we hear colton and troy refer to, am sure theres citys and towns on koolo mainland. what am trying to say is the hero just gets caught up in these events its not like hes some "hero" and why is he any different from any other masters of the ROP he doesnt actually do anything to attone for crimes also he hasnt even commited any crimes so what does he need forgiveness for besides the fact that he uses the rune to kill people.
Snowe

Post by Snowe »

What made Hero4 unique from past bearers is that he
A.) His mother is supposedly the Queen of Obel, a past bearer, so she could have saved him.
B.) He "sacrificed" himself to save the SoD and everyone from dying.
C.) He's mute :D

I think Suikoden 5 will continue this story arc and we'll play as Hero4 again. Maybe he'll end up in the scarlet moon empire? A lot of SoDs left for there after the Kooluk invasion.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Hero4 talks just as much as the other heroes did. Just because you don't see their words in a text box doesn't mean that they're mute.
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

its kinda funny tho, in past suikoden games it was ok the hero being mute because there was no voice acting but in suikoden 4 i think its funny
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

hero 4 forgave snowe which would be a very hard thing for anyone to do

by letting snowe live the heroes life is saved by the rop
and the rop ascends to its forgiveness state in which it recognizes hero 4 as its master