What happens to the Rune of Punishment? [Spoiler]

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
yaaarrrr

What happens to the Rune of Punishment? [Spoiler]

Post by yaaarrrr »

After the credits we see the hero floating along in a small boat. Some people said that he woke up, but I do not believe this because I made it a point to watch very closely and he did not wake up. Anyway, after his death what became of the Rune of Punishment? There were plenty of people around him when he died. Did it take a new master?

It seems to me very illogical that he would survive the rune even with his mother lending him a helping hand. This is really bugging me. Even though the Hero's mother may have some influence over the rune, like all true runes it still has a will of it's own. Like I said this is really bugging me, and I am willing to ferociously argue that he did die. Anyone have any thoughts?
evilsquint

Post by evilsquint »

he couldn't be dead b.c most ppl who die turns to ashes while he remains he is probably just unconsious
yaaarrrr

Post by yaaarrrr »

Yes, but the will of his mother could have been protecting him. Also, after he used the rune the final time his friends must have ran to check on him. The previous times he used the rune he fell unconscious and awoke with his friends staring over him, or in his room on the ship. Which tells me that the people in the game can distinguish between being dead and being unconscious.
Tuna Hematoma

Post by Tuna Hematoma »

Umm... he does wake up? He drifts for a bit, then wakes up, then notices the Obel Ship and starts waving at it - fade to black.
yaaarrrr

Post by yaaarrrr »

Does he? Oh my, maybe that is because I did not get all 108 stars of destiney. How very foolish of me.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Okay.

If you don't get 108 stars, he dies.

If you do, he wakes up. This is because, when you get 108 stars, Leknaat removes the curse of the Rune of Punishment and it no longer drains the life of the hero.
Purr.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

She removes the curse? I don't recall that. If she removed the curse then it would change the very essence of the Rune of Punishment making it something else. I don't believe Leknaat has the power to change the very nature of a True Rune.

I don't believe it was actually explained as to what truly happen to the Hero at the end of the game. It is very possible that his soul was alot stronger than any of the previous bearers, or that the Queen used the last ounce of her energy that remained in the Rune of Punishment to spare his life. Recall that we do see an image of her at the end before we see the Hero wake up.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The Rune of Punishment is less commonly known as the Rune of Atonement and Forgiveness, just like the Souleater is less commonly known as the Rune of Life and Death. By recruiting all 108 Stars of Destiny the Rune moves from its Atonement phase and into its Forgiveness phase.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Well, I can accept that better than Leknaat removing the curse. I think it would be possible that the Rune of Punishment moved on to its Forgiveness phase as the Hero did Atone for all the memories that passed through the Rune of Punishment. It seems to be a suitable explanation.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Oh, this isn't my theory on the situation this is something SARS said at his site. So it's the truth, not just my explanation.
Viper

Post by Viper »

erm could someone list all the bearers of the rune of punishment mentioned in the game and the timeline haha. was curious abt it.
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

edit: Nevermind. Ced got it.

As soon as I finished the game, I forgot the order. I swear, it's as if some of you write this stuff down as it happens. :D

Perhaps I should as well. My memory isn't the greatest.
Last edited by Chaos_Zero on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

I believe it's like this:

Person in the ruins
Queen of Obel
Rakgi's father
Graham Cray
Graham Cray's son
Pirate King Edgar
Pirate Brandeau
Glen
Hero

The memories of the Rune, and everyone's location during the successor process hint at this order.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Eoj

Post by Eoj »

Ced The Lad wrote:I believe it's like this:

Graham Cray's son
His son? Don't you mean his father? And I'm pretty sure the Queen of Obel had it first, though I could be wrong.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Nope, I believe Ced the Lad has the list correct. Remember that the Rune of Punishment was sealed in the ruins for years until the pirates invaded Obel and she had to use it. And it is Graham Cray's son not his father as nothing was ever mentioned about his father at all.