Odessa's final request

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Odessa Silverberg

Odessa's final request

Post by Odessa Silverberg »

When Odessa gives Tir McDohl the earring to deliver to Mathiu, while she was dying; was she really planning to make Tir the leader?
Is it not possible that she actually wanted Mathiu to take over, but it was he who planned to give the role to Tir instead, not because of cowardice, but because he knew it was a better choice (-Tir was more suitable a leader, and he -an advisor).....
Last edited by Odessa Silverberg on Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not disappear..."
- Mathiu Silverberg -
LGM

Post by LGM »

I don't think it was a matter of Odessa choosing a successor, more that she wanted to keep the rebellion alive. And she didn't really have much choice to choose an ideal leader in the state she was in. Flik, Viktor, or even Humphrey could of become leader; because in Suikoden it's the warrior who defeats the general in battle that becomes famous, not the guy in the HQ who blocks supply to the opposing army.

In a way Mathiu is in charge; as he sets everything up for Tir to do. But there was no way that Mathiu could of recruited the people Tir did (most of the time it was a show of power that won them over), plus Mathiu could not have defeated the enemies Tir did (which the Soul Eater occasionally had influence in).
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
adrich
Elite Member

Post by adrich »

When you deliver the firespear blueprints, during the scene in which Odessa and Tir talk at night before meeting Kage, Odessa will (at least with one of the dialogue choices) mention Tir's eyes and how they attract people. She will then begin to say something along the lines of "If I die..." just before they are interrupted by Kage. That particular scene makes me think that Odessa had already recognized Tir's capacity to be a leader even then.
The Board Rules: Because knowledge is power!
Odessa Silverberg

Yes, I can see all that. But it just makes me wonder...
Since Odessa wanted Mathiu to help the Liberation Army long before she died, it can be that she wanted him to become the leader. Maybe she did admire Tir but never thought about making him the next leader. But then again, she may have wanted Tir since she had asked for his help when they had to go to Saraday, and she did trust him although he was originally an imperial.
- Mathiu Silverberg -
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I think Odessa didn't have anyone in mind, but wanted Mathiu to decide himself.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

wow I always thought that she wanted Flik to take over, thats why he was so ticked to see mcdohl as the leader.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
St. Ajora

Post by St. Ajora »

I don't think that she would have wanted Flik to lead since he had issues in the first game. He seemed immature, a bit reckless and emotional. Odessa probably acknowledged that early on.
The shrine: http://tartarus.rpgclassics.com/~valkyrie

The board: s6.invisionfree.com/coaa
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

yes you have a point there. Flik did seem like a little brat lol. I would have left him in that town if I didnt have to talk to him to continue the story.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Odessa Silverberg

Haha, right. I doubt she wanted Flik.
- Mathiu Silverberg -
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

I think that Flik would have been a good leader if he was the same as he was in suikoden 2.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

However, in Suikoden I, Flik tended to be more brash and hot headed. A little of that shows in Suikoden II, but it's apparent that he's gained more maturity and self control. Though I'm sure Odessa loved him, she probably knew that at the time he didn't have what it takes to be a leader.

It's also possible that she sensed the leadership qualities in Tir and felt that people would be drawn to him. However, she also knew that he would need a strategist and sent him to Mathiu. The Silverburg family besides being strategists, almost seem to have some understanding of how people will react to certain people in situations. Odessa being a Silverburg, it's highly likely that she saw those leadership qualities in Tir and felt people would likely follow him.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

In my opinion, just like adrich mentioned, I believe that Odessa already realized Tir's leadership capability when they delivered the blueprints. But Odessa probably knew as well that despite Tir's leadership capability, Tir was very inexperienced that he would need someone to help and guide him. While Viktor, Flik, Humphrey, and even Sanchez were all able to lead, they still lacked the brain to guide Tir. Odessa knew that Mathiu would be the perfect person for that role and that's why I think she sent Tir to ask for Mathiu's help.

I don't think that Odessa wanted Mathiu to be the leader because she knew that he didn't want to get involved in war. So it's a very small chance for her to request him to be the leader of the Liberation Army. On the other hand, Odessa wanted Tir to ask for Mathiu's help also because that way Mathiu would see first hand of what Tir had to offer (his personality, charisma, etc) and in the end, I think Odessa believed that Tir's eye would attact people to fight for the Liberation Army and that includes her dear brother as well.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Odessa Silverberg

I guess, this is more likely.
- Mathiu Silverberg -