The immortality of Leknaat

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
carmelenigma

The immortality of Leknaat

Post by carmelenigma »

Just want to stir the pot here, If it is generally accepted that the suikoden II protagonist and Jowy are not immortal because they hold incomplete true runes.. can the same be applied to Leknaat and Windy? The latter couple definately seem to be immortal and its always bothered me how weak the rune of beginning seems to the other true runes.
Blutiger Engel

Re: The immortality of Leknaat

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, we don't really know for sure that Riou and Jowy aren't immortal, since they don't show up later on aged or not. Unless this is addressed in Suikogaiden, which I wouldn't know.
avenger

Post by avenger »

well i do know leknaat is imortal she always shows up in all the suikodens..
no one can kill her because she never stays in one area for a long period of time....
i wonder if she will be the star of the last suikoden game.. that would be awesome. her story would finally be told.
windy died didn't she? but she could be alive somewhere in another demension.
joey? well he just disappeared so we dont know if he died or not. and he probably mensioned in other games is he not? in a hidden way that is.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

There is probably a more elegant explanation in another topic here, but the forced-separation of the Gate Rune into two by the sisters made each retain most of the properties inherent in the complete True Rune. Unlike the separating nature of the Rune of Beginning's two halves, which do not necessarily have the same properties.

Like cake. Ingredients used to make cake (flour, sugar, eggs, etc) [Bright Shield, Black Sword] don't necessarily share all the same properties as the complete cake [Beginning].

But the cake [Gate] once prepared, being apportioned into two or more parts, would naturally retain all the properties of the original full cake [Front Gate, Back Gate].
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

As far as i know, people with a True Rune, kinda lives longer than normal people, take Geddoe, Ted, Windy, Leknaat (Jeane?) As an example.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

True Rune bearers are ageless and can live forever if they aren't killed.
The Front and Back are just half of the Gate Rune, while Bright Shield and Black Sword are not actually half of the Rune of Beginning - they are important runes needed to "summon" it or act somewhat as guardians, similar to the Dawn and Twilight.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

KFCrispy wrote:The Front and Back are just half of the Gate Rune, while Bright Shield and Black Sword are not actually half of the Rune of Beginning - they are important runes needed to "summon" it or act somewhat as guardians, similar to the Dawn and Twilight.
Where did you heard that? I think it was general consensus that the Bright Shield and Black Sword were parts of the Rune of Beginning.

There are no concrete answers to Windy/Leeknaat "Immortality", the Coffee analogy is just one possible answer. Maybe half true runes do grant "immortality" and those runes(Bright Shield and Black Sword) are simply killing their owners for defying their will.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There are no concrete answers to Windy/Leeknaat "Immortality", the Coffee analogy is just one possible answer
Actually, there are no other possibilities as that's how Konami said it works, making it rather concrete.

The analogy was just something Vextor came up with since a lot of people seem to have trouble understanding a very basic concept.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

I was looking at another thread and it seemed like people were just fine with the notion that Riou and Jowy were mortal. I too have never heard that the bright shield and black sword runes were not halves of the rune of beginning, i thought it was pretty clear from the storyline that they were.

So how does the gate rune work? Windys rune can bring monsters and Leknaat's can send them back or what? I cant remember
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Actually, there are no other possibilities as that's how Konami said it works, making it rather concrete.
The analogy was just something Vextor came up with since a lot of people seem to have trouble understanding a very basic concept.
You are probably more knowledgeable than me, but as far I know all Konami said was that Jowy/Riou age, that's it.

Because of this, people got confused and Vextor came with that Theory, but Konami never said that the Gate Halfs are special, as far I know we even dont know if the gate was split due to magic or naturaly, like the Beginning. Note that the runes are called Front and Back and many Suikoden Fans believe that the Front summons monsters while the back unsummons them, in other words: they are different to this interpretation.

Anyway, there are lots of other possible explanations, as long as Konami doesnt define this, it is still open to other interpretations.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

As I told you before, they have clarified it already.

The Gate halves aren't special, it's the Rune of the Beginning that's the abnorm.

Konami have clarified that Windy and Leknaat forcibly split the Rune, that's why it retains it's properties. There's no natural state for it to be two.

It's an analogy, not a theory.

What "other fans" think is neither interesting or relevant. They're wrong.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Wait! Both this site and gensopedia say that the rune was split by Windy and Leknaat, but none say that the rune was divided through magic(or some Syndar secret) into two equal runes.

If all Konami said was "the rune was split into two pieces by Windy and Leknaat", it isnt all that clear. One could even speculate that they knew the rune very well and forced a natural division(like the the beginning). After all it is a big step to say its is possible to break a rune (unaturaly) into two if it was never stated before.

Anyway, if that's all there is to it, I must say this controversy is far from over.
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

Im pretty sure that the Gate rune pieces grant immortality because like previously stated. It was forcibly split up, not naturally the Rune of Beginning.

I cant remember what happens at the end of S2 exactly, but doesnt Riou retain the Black Sword rune from Jowy and the pieces combine? Isnt that how Jowy gets healed? So in theory (if the above is true) wouldnt that make Riou immortal and Jowy just normal?

Or did the rune combine its powers between the two of them and then return to their respective owners?

Either way. Here is another thought or question...what would be more powerful? A complete Rune Of Beginning or Rune of the Gate? Yes, yes, I know we dont know the full of the Gate rune's powers. However, in theory you would think the Rune of Beginning would be the most powerful rune if it does in fact resemble the Sword and Shield from the creation myth.
MAD 01-08-2004
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, Murayama said in an interview that both Riou and Jowy will age with their respective runes in the "best" ending. When they die of old age, their runes will return to the shrine where they found them.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

This is just a theory, but ok here goes, They split the gate rune into two halves, so you would think it would only be half powerful, thus Not granting immortality since immortality is an effect that happens when someone bears a Whole true rune, BUT, wasnt there a period of time when sierra did not have the blue moon rune attached to her, yet she still had the benefits of the rune because of the length of time her and the rune where connected to each other, so, my theory is, even though sierra didnt actually HAVE the rune attached to her she still had the effects of the rune because of the time she had it on her, maybe just having half of a rune is good enough to grant the immortality bennefit. im just saying. cuz i mean leknaat is OBVIOUSLY imortal lol
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor