Canonization of endings

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Lemmy Claypool

Re: Canonization of endings

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

eldrasidar wrote:do all the various star wars novels have to be canon to that universe? the suikoden 3 manga was a nice supplement, but it was done by a third party with permission. if you limit their artistic license, you get boring books that nobody buys, but if you make their work canon, it kills the development teams artistic creativity.
Aren't the bulk of the Star Wars novels and "Expanded Universe" material considered canon though? If so, bad example.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
eldrasidar wrote:do all the various star wars novels have to be canon to that universe? the suikoden 3 manga was a nice supplement, but it was done by a third party with permission. if you limit their artistic license, you get boring books that nobody buys, but if you make their work canon, it kills the development teams artistic creativity.
Aren't the bulk of the Star Wars novels and "Expanded Universe" material considered canon though? If so, bad example.
No, George Lucas once said that everything non-movie was not canon. Or something along these lines...
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I'd say that Star Wars is a bad example no matter what since Lucas pretty much screwed the pooch in terms of canon. He originally would give his approval on the early expanded universe material. When he made the prequels, he basically contradicted the basic foundation that the expanded universe was built on. If I were someone like Timothy Zahn, I'd be pissed at Lucas for making my work look ridiculous because he changed the rules and acted like that was the way it was the entire time.

What's crazy is that he's still doing it. The current Clone Wars TV show is screwing up continuity with Anakin having a Padawan and the constant confrontations with Dooku. Lucas is heavily involved, overseeing the series. It's obvious that all he cares about is the immediate profit and not continuity.

[/rant]

Sorry, back on topic.