What would happen if Arshtat...(Spoilers)

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Lord Awesomeguy

What would happen if Arshtat...(Spoilers)

Post by Lord Awesomeguy »

Released the power of the Sun Rune on the entire world? Could the Sun Rune truly have destroyed the rest of the Suikoden world?

Discuss....
Coach McGuirk: "This sausage is probably eighteen years old... This sausage could vote. It could go to war and die for its country."
JanusThePaladin

Re: What would happen if Arshtat...(Spoilers)

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Doubtful. I think that all True Runes are comparable in power, and the power of all the elemental runes released at once was estimated to be enough to destroy the grasslands, not the entire world. I think that the sun runes destructive powers, though immense, are unlikely to be enough to destroy an entire globe...
R_C_Cola2001

Post by R_C_Cola2001 »

Even if the Sun Rune could muster the energy to wipe out the planet, there are other runes with the ability and mentality to reduce, if not eliminate the threat. The bright shield rune, for example, would most likely surround the sun rune, and seal off its attack. Would make for a fantastic fireworks display.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Bright Shield, merely a half True Rune, probably won't be able to contain a full True Rune power in that scenario. And, that deal with Grasslands' elemental runes was more about the potential impact of a single True Rune's destruction as opposed to the release of all their powers.

No one probably knows for sure how big the impact would be if a True Rune releases all its powers at once anyway. Never happened in the past, you see.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I disagree Patapi. If recollection serves, the Black Sword Rune was able to keep the Beast Rune contained.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

The last time the Sun rune ran amok, it decimated the Ancient Armes kingdom which might have covered the entire continent for all we know. I think that is about the extent of it's power. It's considerable, but not enough to reduce the entire world to ashes in one go.
R_C_Cola2001

Post by R_C_Cola2001 »

From the history:
In the beginning, there was "darkness."
Then, the "darkness" shed a "tear."
From that "tear," the brothers Sword and Shield were born.
Shield claimed it could defend against any attack.
Sword claimed it could slice through anything.
The brothers began a legendary battle.
At the end, both Sword and Shield shattered.
Sword became the sky, Shield became the earth, and the sparks from the battle became the stars.
As for the jewels, they fell to the ground and became the True Runes--The runes that all other runes were born from.
I disagree that the Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes are "half-runes". It seems more likely to me that their battle is what created the True Runes in the first place. They seem to be the creator of the true runes, or rather the energy of their battle created the runes.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

It is strongly established that the Rune of Beginning is a True Rune. It currently exists in two parts, the Bright Shield and the Black Sword. Therefore, they are halves of a True Rune and do not have the full power of a unified True Rune. These two runes are not the Sword and the Shield from the beginning. Rather, the Rune of Beginning and its two halves are modeled after the pre-creation brothers. But this is off-topic.

I have some thoughts that are on-topic, but I don't have time right now, so I'll come back later.

Edit:

Starting from the second post: "I think that all True Runes are comparable in power." When Leknaat appears in the sealed room in S5, she says that the Sun rune has always shown that it is particularly powerful when compared with the other True Runes. So the Sun rune is more destructive than the other runes, but I completely agree with the basic gist of your post: "I think that the sun runes destructive powers, though immense, are unlikely to be enough to destroy an entire globe..."

To Patapi: I think Janus is right in the next post after you. If the Black Sword was able to contain the Beast rune, the Bright Shield should be able to contain the Sun rune, if it is anywhere near by. And there's the problem with R_C_Cola's idea. The Bright Shield rune isn't anywhere near. In fact, it's buried in a cave on Dunan Lake. I assume that this question refers to Arshtat's comment right before she's killed by Georg. At that point in history nobody's bearing the Bright Shield rune, so it's not going to be saving anyone. The rune's not going to be destroyed, so it doesn't care what another rune does.

"Never happened in the past, you see." Would you not say that the Ancient Armes destruction was an instance of a true rune's full power being released? Or would you just say that we can't know for sure? I would accept that, though I think it was the full power; and as the fighting 108 said, it was enough to destroy everything on the continent, but not the world.

--------------

All in all, I think that everyone is on the right side of the discussion: the Sun rune is really powerful (more powerful than most true runes, and maybe the most powerful of all), but it's not powerful enough to destroy the whole world all at once. I think that Arshtat (and the game script writers) was just speaking a hyperbole out of the insanity caused by the Sun rune.