Is the Best Ending the best ending? *Spoilers*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Masamune.

Is the Best Ending the best ending? *Spoilers*

Post by Masamune. »

Is the perfect ending - where Riou, Nanami, & Jowy all set off into the sunset - the best ending? Or do you prefer the dramatic impact of having Nanami and Jowy die?

I enjoyed that they were reunited at the end. They're all a little older and a little wiser now, and Jowy knows he has to carry the burden of his actions. They can really depend on one another and be free to live their lives away from politics and intrigue.

But hey, I'd love to hear some differing opinions. ^^
Iesous

Re: Is the Best Ending the best ending? *Spoilers*

Post by Iesous »

Maybe it's not the best ending. Maybe the nature of the rune of beginning makes jowy and Riou fight all the time on their journey. Like, they can't agree on what town to go to next, or what restaurant to go to for dinner, or whether to get pepperoni or sausage pizza. All of the sudden, a huge war starts out in whatever country they're in and they become the leaders, all because of a pizza!!

But seriously, sometimes I like the reuniting of the RoB. The only problem is, I don't like the idea of Riou ruling Dunan. I like wandering Tenkai's, like Tir, Riou/Jowy, Lazlo. I think problems arise when True Runes stay in one country for too long (Harmonia's Corruption, Falena's power struggle).

BTW, I foresee this topic being moved to the Plot questions or theories section.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's the canon ending. let's not discuss which one you liked better.. that's just pure opinion.
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

Isn't that what forums are for? Opinions? :o
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

I don't think that the 'Best Ending' for different games works narratively better. Take Metal Gear Solid - although canon is the (SPOILER - Ending where Meryl lives), the other ending is far better in regards to the overall tone of the game, and practically all the places the Solid Snake character goes afterwards.

Now this isn't a Metal Gear board. ;) Back onto topic... the best ending for the Suikoden games matters muchly on the games themselves. I'll try not post spoilers, but I think the 'best' ending for Suikoden I, for example, fitting the tone of the game is the 'bad' ending (what there is in difference of it). For starters, if the 'character who returns in the good ending' is alive, how can he appear in the SoulScape at the end of the game? It's clear he's intended to die. And his death, along with the other death that happens at the end of the game, creates a very sad coda which suits the themes of 'war is death' that pervade the first game.

However... the 'good' ending for SII seems to fit the theme better there - yes, war is still hell... but all the way through the game, Riou and Jowy's friendship is shown to be stronger than anything else going on. It's always portrayed in a bittersweet light. It's genuinely touching and powerful, and I think that to have the friendship 'end' in the bad ending, cheapens how it's portrayed all the way through the game. Also, from the portrayal (what we have of it) of Riou through the game, he doesn't strike me as the type to want to lead the Dunan Confederacy following the war. More like he'd want to return to Highland to live out in peace and quiet, with or without Nanami. However, putting Riou, Jowy and Nanami back together, I could easily see them leaving.

Yeah, it's more dramatically ballsy to have major character death in SII, and to have it so Jowy is dead and stuff, to again show the tragedy of war, but I think that suits SI in tone more... SII seems more hopeful and, to be fair, we've already had a fair bit of tragedy and death in the game that was unavoidable by that point. Much rather leave with a 'happier' ending than a tragic one, especially as we know regardless of which ending you choose in SI, Tir in there is still fated for an unhappy life away from those he loves. Same for Lazlo in SIV, from my understanding.

Freyjadour in SV... I've not unlocked the 'bad' ending yet - I just went for the 'good' one. It makes more internal consistent sense to have the 'good' ending because of the lack of Frey in SII, with Georg showing up there and making no references to Frey. But regardless, I can't see Frey leaving Falena behind to wander. Just not consistent with him, I feel.

So SI: Bad ending.
SII: Good.
SIV: Dunno yet.
SV: Good.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who still chooses 'good' for each game generally speaking ANYway... :)
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."