2 True Runes at once

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
jbd86es

2 True Runes at once

Post by jbd86es »

It is said that a person can only bear 1 True Rune, but Windy has discovered a method to bear 2 True Runes. How would she have done this? She never possessed 2 True Runes to prove her theory, so she must have been told from some divine source that knows the inner workings of the universe. Could it have been Yuber?
And couldn't she have stolen a Rune from someone else other than Ted? Why didn't she try to steal the Runes from Neclord or Yuber?
Also, why was Windy unaware of Barbarossa's possession of the Sovereign Rune. I believe I read somewhere that the Rune was embedded in the King Dragon Sword, which was previously possessed by Geil Rugner (is that the right name? the Emperor before Barbarossa)? She could have stolen his. I read that the Rune grants its power to the bearer of the sword, but not the agelessness. That is why Barbarossa was able to kill Rugner and take the sword with the Sovereign Rune. It seems like an important part of history that may have been known to the more intellectual and learned people of the country.
Personally, I think the best Two Rune combination would have to include the Sovereign Rune. Its defensive powers coupled with any other Rune's offensive powers would make for a tough Rune-Bearer.
Redheim

Re: 2 True Runes at once

Post by Redheim »

So what exactly is your question? Or do you just want people to discuss what you just wrote? Please elaborate.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Windy was obsessed with the Soul Eater; she probably studied it in the past and fell in love with the idea of it, thinking she and the Soul Eater would get along.... in Suikoden I she became extremely upset that the Soul Eater kept rejecting her; she chased that one rune for at least 600 years.

yes she could have tried taking true runes from others, especially Barbarossa, but there was a personal reason for targeting the Soul Eater.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Probably the same reason why the Masked Bishop never considered using Yuber's true rune in his destroying-the-world's-balance scheme, despite having it in close proximity all the way.
Holywhippet

Post by Holywhippet »

patapi wrote:Probably the same reason why the Masked Bishop never considered using Yuber's true rune in his destroying-the-world's-balance scheme, despite having it in close proximity all the way.
I thought the Sindar artifact at the ruins was specifically keyed to the true elemental runes.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I always thought that Windy had thought the Sovereign Rune was imbedded in Barbarossa's other sword, Prakk, that he gave to Teo at the very beginning of Suikoden 1. This would explain why there is no indication that Windy used a Black Rune on Teo, as she thought it wouldnt work due to his proximity to the Sovereign Rune (and his unbelievable loyalty to the Emperor probably helped that as well)>
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I had aways assumed that Windy planned on the Soul Eater replacing her Gate Rune(much like how if you give Geddoe the True Fire Rune in S3, it pushes his True Lightning Rune off to someone else) She hunted the Soul Eater down over centuries because the believed that it was meant for her, more so than the True Rune that she already had.

There's also the possibility that she simply didn't know that she couldn't bear more than one True Rune. :D
PSN: FreshMetal80
abs

Post by abs »

Or she somehow got a way to yield two true runes.
JanusThePaladin

The official story in S1 says that she found a way to weild 2 true runes. My guess would be it works off the fact that she has only half a true rune.
Iku

Post by Iku »

but her half rune for all intents and purposes was a full rune, so i personally believe that if she had had the full rune her method would've worked the same, maybe the soveriegn rune negates all magic except its own meaning even if windy had aquired it it would've been useless because it she wouldnt have been able to use her gate rune. I think as has been said it became more of an obsession, maybe in the begining she would've been happy with any true rune but as the centuries pasted she slowly became fixated with it. Id always persumed she didnt give teo or sonya black runes because she knew how loyal teo was to the emperor and sonya's absolute loyalty to teo not too sure about kasim though...
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
JanusThePaladin

She may have used something similar to what Luc used to control the True Element runes in S3. He obviously was able to use their power even though they were no imbedded within him. But he took those forcibly, and Windy didnt try to forcibly remove the Soul Eater....
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Windy being able to attach two true runes onto her isn't any type of ambiguous information that's offered as a rumor or anything. It's actual character setting info that has been stated by the developers themselves-- so there no real space for speculation there. Windy somehow knew of a way to attach two true runes onto herself, and wanted the Souleater.

Windy didn't know that Barbarossa had the Sovereign Rune either. The rune being passed on within the Rugner family isn't anything that's well-known or anything. Within the game you don't hear about it until the very end when Barbarossa tells you about it.

If Windy knew about it, she wouldn't have given Barbarossa the Black Rune anyways, nor would she have desired the Sovereign Rune, because that would have nullified her own rune powers.