Vol 2 Some Reading Comprehension Questions

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Vol 2 Some Reading Comprehension Questions

Post by dragonmasterx »

From Chapter 2:

Nash is incarcerated by Baruji's guards for no apparent reason. As Nash is trying to figure out how to escape...

"・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
一晩で、ここを脱出するのは骨がおれる。
それが結論になりそうだった・・・・”

Can someone explain why his bones would break if he escaped?
------------------
Nash just snuck out of the little prison and forages for food in the kitchen. He finds dry meat and hero bread lined up on the lowest shelf of the table. I think he's trying to reach for the hero bread and the elderly female chef discovers her. Nash tries to escape her by hurling the hero bread to distract her attention and she says:

料理長
ナッシュ!!
食べ物を放り投げて粗末にして、パチが当たるよ!

What does that final clause mean? I believe パチis short for pachinko. What does treating white bread crudely have to do with winning a game of pachinko? Is this some kind of fancy metaphor?
Last edited by dragonmasterx on Sat May 28, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Chapter 3 Queries

Post by dragonmasterx »

Chapter 3:

Futch thinks Nash was trying to eat Bright, Nash retorts:

ナッシュ
待った!
いくらおれでも竜を食べようなんて思うわけないじゃないか。
・・・・・・・・・・・・・第一、
美味いかどうかも分からないのに・・・

Why does Nash use the past tense of 待つ? This is just one case, but he also uses the past tense in other places. Wouldn't it make more sense if he said 待って!
Genso

Post by Genso »

First one: "Hone ga oreru" can be an expression to mean that it's too tedious of a work. The most commonly used way is of course the literal meaning of "It's going to break my bone" but in this case, that doesn't apply.

Second one: It's not "Pachi". I bet that if you take a closer look at your TV, it said "Bachi". Look that word up instead of "Pachi".

Third one: This one is an expression of "Please wait." Yes, it is the same as the past tense of the verb, but it's also used as an expression. It's a rather casual way to request the other person to wait. "Matte" is kind more formal and girlish in some ways. "Matta" that is used in this way can be used like this as well: "chotto matta!"
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I forgot to copy the exact text down, but in Chapter 4, when Rena and Sasarai are discussing how to assist Nash as much as possible without starting a war between the Church and the Howling Voice Guild; Sasarai talks about lending Nash something
”貸し”
But Sasarai doesn't specify what that 貸しis, what could it be?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Near the end of the battle between Nash and Zaji:

銃弾をかわし、最後はシュバルツを投げつけた
右手でわなく、左手のヴァイスが止めの
一撃だった。
左肩の怪我は本物、流れる血だってそうだ。
だが、この一瞬、最後のこの一撃の
ためだけに、隠していたんだ。

Was Nash's left shoulder really injured or not?

流れる血だってそうだ。
That そうだ doesn't seem to mean hearsay, as was taught to me in class.
Genso

Post by Genso »

I think one of the mystery of the gaiden game was the details of this favor that Sasarai did for Nash was unknown. I don't think it's ever explained in that game. I forgot if they talked abou it in Suikoden III though.

In that sentence with the shoulder injury, "datte souda" that is added on to the blood comment make his flowing blood real as well. It's an "also" statement. He's basically stating that he was hiding his injuries, both his left shoulder and his blood flowing, for his final attack.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Vol. 2 Ch.3 Back Road
Island Nations reference:

Lorelai: 群島諸国じゃ、こっちがかセネタをつかまされたんだからね。おあいこさ。

What does セネタ mean?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

that should be ガセネタ, meaning, "fake info."