challenge Yuber 1-on-1

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

challenge Yuber 1-on-1

Post by KFCrispy »

take a character to defeat Yuber 1-on-1. if it's not Geddoe/Hugo, you might want Geddoe/Hugo with 1 HP and Blood Armor so he dies. or you can just have him defend all day (do not group them in a buddy pair) or take out the minor enemies if necesssary. Yuber's HP is 4,500. good luck. tell me the setups and strategy if you succeed!

RULES
- no stat-bumping like everything at 255. if you want, i guess u can take it to the maximum level of what your experience level allows. try to limit to lev 60.
- ONLY YOUR CHARACTER MAY BE ATTACKED BY YUBER or else the match wasn't exactly a challenge. perhaps Geddoe/Hugo can wear a Skunk just for this reason.
- the only way you may avoid getting hit by Eight-Devil is if you produce a 1-hit kill method that comes out faster than Yuber's rune attack.
- having other characters in the party is fine EXCEPT JUAN as long as they do not hurt Yuber and Yuber does not touch them. i'm going to allow for others killing the minor enemies because Yuber is the point. i would recommend having a Pale Gate user just to blast through the enemies but having all characters near dead when they get to Yuber.. might have to reload a couple times so u wanna get to him quick!
- any support characters are ok. useful ones i foresee are Jefferson and Jeane. (might want to change this rule)
- you may use Jefferson's titles.

recommendations
Fred, Twaikin, Mua, and possibly Sharon
strategy with these bubs: high shield defend rate and counter-attacking, lightning resistance*, enough armor to survive the Eight-Devil, of course, possibly an attack rune to nullify the chance of counter-hits if you try an offensive tactic (Fred can use Viper.. Sharon that spear one that reduces your def to 0 or something O_o), Wall Rune may be good for surviving hits - defend improves counter-attack rate, too. Violence to give a huge boost in damage.

Yuiri
with her insane-offense setup, she may be able to take him out in 1 or 2 turns by merely attacking. she must survive the Eight-Devil or beat it with pure speed! maybe a regular atk don't work but Sword of Magic lev 1 might.. and also try with Jeane if that's too slow. she might need a Flame Casque for accuracy

items/equipment
other than the ones i already listed, one possible thing that might help is using food that causes Boost, which seems to be a stronger "berserk" status, giving u 100% instead of 50% more power.
if you want to mess with Alert and a spell and don't think you can survive until it kicks in, using food that causes Invincibility would help! finally, a use for Invincibility... hmmm Rage Rune, S-rank, hyper status lets u cast for over 3000. don't know about Yuber's resistance though.

*read the topic "elemental protection stacks?" for hints
Last edited by KFCrispy on Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I think I can do it with Augustine.

Give him a White Rose Brooch, Sacrificial Jizo, and Mega Medicine.
Violence Rune in addition to Red Rose.
Maybe a Flame Casque or whatever(I suppose the helmet isn't really important).
Give him Top Cmdr appointment. Swing should be A+.

Just keep Red Rosing Yuber. If he uses Eight Devil and kills him, the Sacrificial Jizo will bring him back. Augustine will parry most of Yuber's attacks(as well as counter-attack for extra damage), but Yuber should still, either with the Lightning Rune or by connecting on some attacks, bring him into Violence, for 2000+ damage from the Red Rose Rune.

Success is partially based on luck. If Yuber lands some attack that brings Augustine into Violence, you have to hope that his next attack will be a physical one, so Augustine can parry it(and Augustine's counter-attack will be very powerful!). Unless you still have your Sacrificial Jizo. But if Yuber does a lot of physical attacking, you're almost assured victory because Augustine is the only character in the game who can best Yuber in personal combat(direct attacks).
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, I did it. On my second try.

I didn't have access to a Violence Rune in this save, so first I tried a Fury Rune. Yuber killed Geddoe on the first turn, so it was Augustine versus all 5 enemies(although Yuber did waste a turn, so this probably wouldn't qualify for the challenge). Eight-Devil killed him and triggered the Jizo, but it should be noted that Eight-Devil goes AFTER Red Rose. Red Rose also goes faster than Yuber's Lightning spells, so he cancelled Yuber's chant in that one of the turns. Red Rose did ~1100 each time, and he died not by Yuber, but by a fire spell from one of the skeletons.

Now I'll go to the second try, where I won. I replaced Fury with Double-Strike, and repositioned them so Yuber went straight for Augustine.

1st turn:
Geddoe kills two of the skeletons with a lightning spell
Augustine Red Roses Yuber for 1500 damage
Yuber Eight-Devils Augustine and kills him, triggering his Sacrificial Jizo
The big horse goes after Geddoe
The last skeleton attacks Augustine but is parried and counterattacked

2nd turn:
Yuber attacks Augustine, but is parried and countered for 275 damage
Augustine Red Roses Yuber for 1500 damage
Horse hits Geddoe again, who is defending
Skeleton attacks Augustine but is parried and counterattacked

3rd turn:
Yuber attacks Augustine, but is parried and countered for 275 damage
Augustine Red Roses Yuber for 1500 damage. YUBER DIES!

Throughout both of the two battles, Augustine was directly attacked about 12 different times, but each time he either parried or repelled! Even better than I thought he would do!

A note, I didn't get to see how much damage Eight-Devil actually did. You can't see the damage when the Jizo resurrects you. The first time it killed Augustine cause he was already at 200-something HP, and the other time it killed him because he had Double-Strike on. I don't think it actually would have killed him at full hp and a Fury Rune, because in the major battles it did 365 damage on Yumi, who I think had less DEF than Augustine(Augustine had 170).
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Alright, I did it again, this time without a Sacrificial Jizo. I got him a Violence Rune, and replaced the Jizo with a Lightning Amulet. So he had a Swing of A+ with one White Rose Brooch and TopCmdr.

I first killed him in a few turns, as he attacked Augustine, missed, and then started using his Lightning Rune, as well as his cronies using magic. Augustine eventually got knocked down by the magic to Violence, and immediately killed Yuber(who was charging up another lightning spell). I decided it was too easy cause he didn't use Eight Devil.

So I tried again. This time, I had to stop attacking Yuber and wait for him to use the rune. So I had Augustine use some medicines to heal up from the constant magic for what I thought was going to be a deadly ED rune. Then one turn Yuber attacked him and missed, so his HP was at full, so all he could do was defend without killing Yuber(at this point Yuber was already on his knees). So the next turn he EDs Augustine for.....a whopping 134 damage. So then I started a direct attack contest with Yuber to further humor him, and Yuber finally gets in a couple shots past Augustine's Parry and Repel. Augustine ends up winning the swordfight, in a rather nice finish(Augustine attacks, is parried and countered for ~100 dmg. Yuber attacks, is parried and countered for ~400 dmg, as Augustine is in Violence - Yuber dies). In order to make better sense of the 134 damage, I've made these computations.

134 x 2 = 268 dmg if he wasn't defending? Still seems too low.
One of Yuber's regular attacks hit for 121 dmg, followed by a 91 dmg second hit. Augustine has 157 DEF.
121 + 157 = 278 ATK pwr of Yuber.
121 + 91 = 212 "total damage" for Yuber.
Eight-Devil: x2 total damage.
212x2=424 dmg for the Eight-Devil with no defense
424-157=267 dmg. Very close to the 268. So it does make sense.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

whoa cool. Augustine seemed a bit on the shallow end even with S-swings when i first was discovering characters, but after tinkering around (check out the 1 round Wind RIncar thread) he has shown he is a true man. and being able to continuously parry/counter Yuber allows me to concentrate on things other than defense with him.

did you have Armor Protect skill for Augustine?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yuber's STR is 190 for that battle, which would be his ATK figure as well. So with a Eight Devil Rune, his base damage should be 380. Subtract your DEF from that should be the damage.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well where would his weapon attack power factor in? what level is it.. 0?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Yeah, I had Armor Protect on him. If I replaced the Lightning Amulet with another White Rose Brooch, he would've had 170 DEF. In fact, that was my next strategy if this one had happened to fail. That would've brought him from 4 to 5 swings, and allowed me to give him the title that increased Damage as TopCmdr wasn't needed.

My other backup strategy was going to be replacing the Mega Medicine with one of the foods that causes Boost. When he heals, he gains 2x damage. But obviously it wasn't needed.

190 STR? That seems high. Because his WPN would only have roughly 78 ATK to get to the damage he did. Which would make it a level 6 weapon.