A Viki faliure?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
RageRune

A Viki faliure?

Post by RageRune »

So I was playing Suiko3 last night and I had big Viki in my party. I planned her to use Pale Gate to kill some troll dragons in the Cyndar Ruins. Then all of a sudden a white light came up and damaged her and another charcter right by her. I was WTF :shock: I could'nt believe that happen. I was'nt using the Blinking Rune so I did'nt know a spell cast from her would fail.

Can some one explain this and can other mages fail at spells?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's called "backfire", which began in suikoden 2. Viki and Piccolo have have high backfire rates to go with their goofball personalities.

Alert/Hyper (Hyper is the actual status caused by Alert Rune and other items) may increase backfire rate. it does in Suikoden 2, to the point where McDohl has killed my party with his very own Soul Eater in Hyper status.

i've only seen backfire with Pale Gate lev 1 spells and the Blinking Rune, how bout you guys?
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Viki backfired both the Cyclone rune and Thunder Rune in different playthroughs of my game. It only happened once, though.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

It just happened to little Viki too. She was using a LV2 Pale Gate Rune and it damaged her and two other charcters right by her. I don't think that other mages have this fail rate unless I'm wrong.
Sesshomaru

Post by Sesshomaru »

I've never seen a "backfire" All of Viki's spells Fully worked for me.
To be a rock and not to roll -Led Zeppelin
Marth Owns Old school style.
STYX!!
There must of been a door there in the wall!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

really? you guys have never seen Piccolo backfire? i use him a lot so i see it plenty of times. i barely use Viki though... we're lucky Piccolo doesn't seem to backfire with his boss-oriented rune--Lightning/Thunder
fake_flame

Post by fake_flame »

i think i saw that before but i forgot when and who ... :P
-- [fAkE_fLaMe] --
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I've never seen Piccolo backfire because I've only used the Lightning/Thunder rune with him, never a Pale Gate Rune. Well, I did once, I remember, but he didn't backfire. I usually have it equipped on him but don't use it :)
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

We mostly notice both Viki's since they are mainly seen as good mages thanks to their skill rank in a lot of magic. So we ended giving her a variety of magic to customize her at our own will.

I think she backfired the thunder rune in a major battle in my game, though.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

does little Vicki backfire as well? (she's not as much of a goofball, so I'd think....)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

does little Vicki backfire as well? (she's not as much of a goofball, so I'd think....)
RageRune wrote:It just happened to little Viki too. She was using a LV2 Pale Gate Rune and it damaged her and two other charcters right by her. I don't think that other mages have this fail rate unless I'm wrong.
just... please read the thread. this was even a very short thread.