[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
True Griever

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

Post by True Griever »

I liked: Why:
The different views: It gave me a lot dilemma's as for who I was really rooting for, except thomas.
Luc: The goal justifies the methods, I was agreeing with him quite a bit.
Different Tribes: It was good that the game tried to show many cultures in such a small area of the world.
The war system: I liked the fact that you had given locations to put your unit on as well as cover.
The skill system: It was fun and you spend more time than in suiko 2 deciding the best character.

I disliked: Why:
The combat system: The buddy system was awful, you couldn't unite magic or cast magic without the other defending.
One of the reasons I didn't play this one as much as 1 and 2.
The war system: Instead of armies you fight with 4 chars. Dissapointing..
The end: Building up the story was great, the end felt finished fast.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I love Suikoden III even though there are things about it that annoyed me a little.

What I think threw most off was the switch to 3D, the drastic change in location, and the trinity system.

I'll always love S1 and S2 for it's graphics style. Even with the 2D format, it still told a great story and fantastic gameplay. I remember when starting up S3, and I'm running through the Karaya village with Hugo, it just didn't seem like a Suikoden game. I was even concerned that the recruiter would do the classic spin "So-and-So joined the party!" And it would have looked positively goofy. But then I really enjoyed actually being able to see the environment I was in for the first time and thought everything looked beautiful and detailed. There's so much going on in this game it was so fun just to look around at everything. I thought the facial features were great as well. The lack of voice acting left something to be desired but I think given how much talking was going on in this particular game, it would be been a little overwhelming. Games this massive should almost not have voice acting.

Then you have the environment change. I always pictured S1 as having a East Asian theme going on. But mostly because of the hero and Ted and their outfits. And then you were always in cities or mountains and the characters you recruited were in a building or standing outside a building, or something. In S3, I always thought it was a pretty drastic change to start off in a village with thatched roofs (if you started with Hugo) Vinay Del Vexay was pretty much the only city like environment you went to. Brass Castle was okay, but too linear. You start at one end, you run to the other. I don't know, maybe I'm off about this part, but I just thought the change was weird.

The Trinity System I thought was very cool. I love watching events unfold from the perspective of others. Like Wicked or Back to the Future Part II. But I could see how it might get confusing and annoying to some. Do you start with Hugo and go all the way up to Chapter 3 before starting the other two characters? Or do you experience Chapter 1-3 one character at a time? One thing that I didn't particularly care for was the fact that you could recruit so many characters as part of the story through each person's POV that by the time the main character was defined, there wasn't really a ton of recruiting left to do. Basically, I think it took too long to get to the Flame Champion. I just wanted to run around and recruit without feeling the pressures of continuing the story. But the Luc POV at the end was absolutely fabulous. What a way to use those 108 points.

Thought Luc as a villain was great too. I always new that little snob would be a troublemaker. They were totally setting that up in S2. And as soon as you meet Sasarai in S3 you know who is involved, regardless of some big ugly mask. I WAS howerver, disappointed in the absense of Leknaat throughout all of the main story. I think Luc wanting to tip the balance of power with the runes would have prompted Leknaat to definetely get involved. That is what she does isn't it? I mean, I guess she explains her uninvolvement at the end a little. But that's an awful lot of confidence she had in the S3 heroes to leave Luc to learn a lesson.

The battle system was okay. I agree with other reviewers that only being able to use one mage in a column at a time was kind of lame. But it did make it a little more challenging I suppose. You were really overpowered once you leveled up Hugo, Fubar, Futch, and Bright anyway.

The army battle system was okay too. I hated how you had no control over anyone though. Like, I never wanted Jacques to use that stupid Boranda Hawk rune. It didn't do much damage at all. Fire a stupid arrow at one enemy at a time and single them out. But being able to customize who was in the party was pretty good.

Overall, I think it was a great game. No matter how you played it, you were typically stuck with a 60 hour gameplay time. This cut down the replay value in my opinion. I've played it through 3 or 4 times, but I've played S1 and 2 like 30 times between them.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I'm hoping this game gets better with more playthroughs like someone before has said. I'm playing it for the first time right now and to be honest I can't wait for it to be done. Maybe it's because I knew most of the story before playing it, or because I'm just so used to I and II, but there's just something about SuikoIII I find irritating.

I don't like the switch to 3d, I feel like they could've done a better job of the graphics for the time. I hate the world map setup, where it takes you FOREVER to get where you want to go. The pairing of fighters in battle is inferior to choosing actions for each character, IMHO. Thomas' chapters are boring and it seems like some chapters are just filled with cut scenes and nothing else.

I do like the skill system, it's fun to make your fighters more unique. Once I finish the game I might have a different opinion of the game, and maybe I will after more playthroughs but so far I find the first two games vastly superior to this game.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

OK, I just finished Suikoden III and my opinions have changed a little. I thought the game got better once you get to Chapter 4 and 5, and receiving the Blinking Mirror (although WAY too late in the game) made travelling around a lot less annoying.

What I didn't like about the game was that the trinity sight system made it harder for me to feel connected to the protagonist(s). Also, where the heck was Leknaat?!?! She is one of the most important characters in the series and she was nowhere to be seen. I felt like the game was more about Luc and his inner struggles than it was about any of the other main characters. Although that isn't so much a bad thing, I think it really detered from the player being able to connect to your heroes.

All in all, I enjoyed the new skill system but not the pairing of fighters in battle, and the fact you got to see a lot of different characters' personalities but as a whole I prefer the single protagonist over the trinity sight system.

p.s. Can anyone tell me why Leknaat was absent through this whole game?
Belle

Post by Belle »

You didn't play Luc's chapter?
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Yes, I did play Luc's chapter.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Leknaat shows up at the end of Luc's chapter...

but yes, Suikoden three deliberately tries to move on from suikoden 1 and 2, which frankly makes a lot of sense. I mean Leknaat's appearances in 4 and 5 are just odd and somewhat creepy, particularly if you haven't played 1 or 2, and thus you would have no idea who she was, or what she was doing in your room at late hours of night when you are trying to get some sleep.

Leknaat could have shown up more than she did in three it's true, but her showing up doesn't wouldn't really add anything to the plot, and instead likely would just confuse most new players.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

She thought of Luc as a son and wouldn't have wanted to be personally involved in the events that would destroy him. She just sat back and let the Stars of Destiny do their thing. Also, the Tenkai in this game didn't get a True Rune, so we really didn't need to see her much anyway.

I can see people being creeped out in later titles. Dunno about V, but at least the events on the Fog Ship help to explain her a bit in IV.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I know she appeared in the Prologue, but I was refering to the main part of the game. The reason I feel she could've made an appearance is because during the three heroes' chapters you're recruiting lots of people, but sometimes you don't really know why. For example, way before you Thomas gives you his castle and everyone joins forces you are out there asking people to join you...what are they supposed to be joining? Why would Chris tell a random ninja behind a house that she's looking for recruits when at that point of the story, everyone is just saying "WTF is going on here?" and not really building an army. I feel like this game was missing the "glue" that held the previous games together.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

I liked the way it's related in this game.
Seeing how those stars are linked by Destiny, even in acting in completely different ways, was a nice point of view for me.

First of all, I agree with EstrangedIX. Leknaat didn't want to be involved in this affair for affective reasons.
Then, I don't think she was necessary to the plot, neither the 108 stars actually.

The Tenkai star is not the hero, he's just de HQ master and he doesn't have a True Rune.
Main characters - Hugo, Chris, Geddoe and Luc (we can even add Sasarai) - don't need to be guided or oriented. I mean, Geddoe already know the story and when Hugo and Chris get their True Runes, they also know the role they have to play from now.

Then about the stars to recruit, most of them are not recruited to fight but they're sent to the Budehuc Castle to be in a neutral land and live in relative peace for this time of war. Then they really act as "stars" when the HQ becomes a place for refugees.
After all, the army is not really build by optionnal characters but more by automatic recruits.

I'm not saying I wasn't surprised by the absence of Leknaat and the minor interest of the Stars of Destiny. But when I think about it, I really think she wasn't needed in this game.
You're saying the game was missing the "glue" that held the previous games together. Well I'd say the opposite. This game really gave to Suikoden world a lot of depth (geographically and historically), more than those usually enigmatic Leknaat's appearances :)

To end this, I also agree with you on one point. The story focus a lot on Luc.
Personnaly, I see Suikoden I, II and III as a trilogy centered on Luc (we have known him young and adult, and we know what he lived until his tragic end), that's probably why I'm considering Suikoden III as a good conclusion and why I'm not expecting a sequel (even if I'd like to know more about Viki, Jeane, Leknaat, Pesmerga, and a lot more characters...).
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I guess I just love so much about the first two games that I automatically have a bias against some of the newer additions. Don't get me wrong, I liked the third game for the most part but some of it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Well I guess we have all loved the two first games so much that we had a lot of expectations about the sequels (expectations probably never filled).
So your feelings were probably shared by everybody at some point. 3D, Point&Click World Map, Tenkai as not the hero, Stars being secondary, this new narrative system... that's a lot of things to put up with. Hopefully, we had two Silverberg and Apple :)

Also, it's pretty hard to equal Suikoden II without doing the same thing :S
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

II was a tough act to follow. I thought I'd hate III but I was pleasantly surprised.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Akihiko

Post by Akihiko »

Maybe I'm completely missing something or doing something wrong but this game is really pissing me off. No, it's not the story line or characters because they seem interesting, but rather the battles in which the enemies do like 80 damage a turn. I've tried leveling quite a bit but I am constantly dying. I don't know what I did wrong but this game does not want to agree with me. I got into the first war with Chris and I kept dying so much that I got frustrated and gave up. I am not sure if I want to keep playing this game.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Well, it helps to upgrade your armor, skill levels, and weapons levels.
And to see which runes work best with which playable characters.

You can't just rely on leveling up; you really need to play around with other things.