[Guide] Chris Level 99 Trick benefits & initial levels

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Ced The Lad

[Guide] Chris Level 99 Trick benefits & initial levels

Post by Ced The Lad »

> Blue Moon's guide for Chris Level 99 trick - includes general information and tips

First off, let me congratulate KFCrispy for his new admin status. He was a good moderator, and now has moved on to bigger and better things.

This list was mainly his idea. I decided to make it as a confirmation for his results. As you know, Chris' level 99 trick enables her to plow through the game easy. Sometimes, this makes her battles with the destroyers easily winnable. This is especially true, because some characters get boosted along with her if she recruits them. Aside from storyline characters, some characters receive the benefits. So without further ado, here are the results. (combat characters only)

Storyline Characters (no bonus):

Thomas
Dupa
Shiba
Lucia
Yuirii
Jimba
Juan
Sgt. Joe
Hugo
Bazba
Yumi
Fubar
Nash
Aila
Cecile
Gedoe
Ace
Queen
Fred
Rico
Percival
Beecham
Reed
Samus
Lilly
Jaques
Joker
Leo
Piccolo
Hallec
Mua
Sasarai

Storyline Characters (with bonus):

Salome 99 (level 99 trick)
Chris ('')
Borus ('')
Roland ('')

Optional characters (with no bonus):

Edge
Melville
Alanis
Franz
Shabon
Futch*
Bright
Toppo
Sharon
Nei
Little Viki
Koroku
Mel
Ruby
Landis
Emily
Kogoro
Kosanji
Connie
Koichi

Optional Characters (with Bonus):

Estella (Lv. 99)
Twaikin (Lv. 98 )
Watari (Lv. 99)
Ayame (Lv.99)
Wan Fu (Lv. 99)
Belle* (Lv. 97)
Gadget Z* (Lv. 97)
Augustine (Lv.99)
Kenji (Lv. 97)
Sanae Y (Lv.98 )
Rody (Lv. 97)
Viki* (Lv. 99)

Misc.

Geddoe-only recruits: Duke (55), Gau (54), Elaine (54), Nicolas (56), Franz (52), Ruby (50) - Not sure if any of these levels are fixed or relative to Geddoe. My Geddoe was lv 55 when recruiting in this game where I recorded these numbers (will try to check again in future playthroughs).

*If you loaded Suikoden II data into your game, these characters get a level bonus based on their related-character's level in Suikoden II.
Futch (fixed level + bonus. If he was lvl 99 in your Suikoden 2 data, he will join at Lv. 75)
Viki (recruiter's level + bonus)
Belle (recruiter's level + bonus)
Gadget Z (Belle's level)
Sanae Y (recruiter's level + bonus? If she gets a bonus, is it based on Freed Y or Yoshino?)

Chris achieving level 4 magic / stats to watch: Since stat growth is random and Chris has poor MAG stat growth, it is possible to get her MAG stat to 101 so that she can acquire a level 4 spell. This may take some reloads--keep track of her growth as you get towards the end, because once a character is level 99, they can't change their MP count no matter how much you pump the stat with Stone of MAG--a level-up is required to recalculate the MP count.
Another stat to watch is her SPD if you want her to consistently get 3 swings. She can achieve 3 swings once she reaches 165 SPD, but that minimum value will only enable 3 hits if she is already standing in front of the target.. in most cases you will likely have to use equipment to get her to or above that minimum value.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks, Ced!

i did not bring characters in S2 to 99, so i can confirm that Belle joins based on the recruiter's level (she joined my 99 Chris at 99 or 98.. definitely higher than Gadget at 97), but as for Futch and Viki, i'd have to play further into the game, and i kinda stopped. i wanna get a cheat device so i don't spend the hours waiting for random items to finally appear/drop.. all over again.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Belle and Gadget joined my lev 99 Chris at 97 each
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

I thought Leo and Percival got upgraded to Chris's level during Ch. 4. Or do they just get an upgrade in armor. Is it either-or or both?
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

just armor
Tiger

hmmmm

Post by Tiger »

do I have to get the chareters with bonuses with Chris or can I use any one??? for an example i done this before Tomas chapter 1 can i get watari with tomas and get him at 99?
Suikoden is not just agame it is a way of life
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

No you need Chris to recruit the characters, since some of them are based on the level of the recruiter. It doesn't work if they're on thomas' team.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Arcadius

Post by Arcadius »

edge can't be 99 even if i recruit him with chris? weird
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Not all recruited character levels are dependent on the recruiter. Edge is one of those characters who has static levels.
Arcadius

Post by Arcadius »

ah cool :) i m at the village where edge is at as geddoe.. was thinking if i should recruit him now or later in chapter 4 as chris. but if he isn't level 99 then i guess i will just recruit him now :)
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

what are the characters that one can recruit and get the bonus in chapter 4 & 5 if you choose Chris as the flame champion?
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Glad I found this. Thank you very much for the info. Luckily I haven't recruited Augustine and Twaikin yet.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

highwind44029 wrote:Glad I found this. Thank you very much for the info. Luckily I haven't recruited Augustine and Twaikin yet.
hey has anyone been able to confirm Futch and Viki? Futch joining at 75 when all other characters join in the high 90's makes him questionable - more likely it's based on his level in the S2 data.. but Viki (what about Small Viki?) seems to work.

my friend is playing this game w/out S1/2 data now so i might be able to confirm this info in like a month....
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I think Futch's level is preset. I recruited him with Hugo Level 53, but he still joined at Level 75 (this is with Suikoden II data). I have a save of the end of Chapter 3 before choosing the successor, and I plan on experimenting with Chris soon, although I don't think I'll be able to get on it with college and all.

UPDATE: Recruited Futch with Chris Level 99. He still joined at 75.
Last edited by highwind44029 on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

my Koroku, the dog, did NOT get the lvl 99 bonus when i recruited it with lvl99 Chris.

Which comfirms the Result. hehe sorry, misread.
Strategy is the key to victory!