pronouncing names in suikoden 3

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yep, that's right.  S1 Hugo was ユーゴ while S3 Hugo was ヒューゴ.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Sorry SARS, all I got was a buncha squares there......did you use a different font or sumfin???? But where did you get this info????
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

You'd need to install Japanese font on your computer to be able to read Japanese, and I get the info from playing the Japanese version of the game. Duh.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

You'd need to install Japanese font on your computer to be able to read Japanese, and I get the info from playing the Japanese version of the game. Duh.
Had it, reformated, lost it. :oops:
Heh, forgot you are/or speak Japanese.

Do you actualy know any Konami employees/reps? You seem to be getting a LOT of official information.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, I know some Konami employees. My ex-boss works for Konami, and I've made numerous contacts with Konami employees in the past. I've met Fumi Ishikawa, the designer for Suikoden 2 and 3 as well.

However, I get all of my info via the 60+ publications available on the series.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Is it relatively hard to acquire those "publications"? I'm in New Zealand, which isn't too far, so I was jus wonderin if I could buy some of that stuff and get it shipped here or something. All the info I've had so far are from the first 3 suikodens, plus guide books for one and two, and I tried out card stories on a friends GBA. What else is there, asides from IV and the Gaidens?

As for Japanese, guess I'd just have to learn it (or as much as I need to understand everything Suikoden related :D )
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I get them shipped from amazon.co.jp, which ships globally. However, the ste is in Japanese. I am sure there are sites catering to the English speaking crowd though. Searching with google or some other search engine is typically the best way to go.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Aite tanx for that, but what other "publications" are out there asides from the 4 suikodens guides? Is it like a buncha comics or what?

EDIT: Tanx for that Jowy!
Last edited by Black Fang on Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The stickies in the Collectables Forum should be able to help you out.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu May 18, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

How 'bout Sanae?
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Like its written "Sa-na-e"

Actually that last part is more like a half-e.....kinda hard to explain.....anyone else wanna give this one a shot?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's like "eh."

So overall, it's pronounced as "Sah-nah-eh"
sleepytactician

Post by sleepytactician »

I always thought Jeane's name was said "Jee-ann" X.X

but if it was said in Japanese, wouldn't it be something like "Je ah neh"?

As for Guillaume, I recently asked my French speaking friend how to pronounce it and she replied with "Gee ohm" (or Jhee ohme) and it does actually mean William. Why couldn't they just call him William then?? XD XD

And, does anyone know how exactly to pronounce Salome's name? I've heard different things, such as "Sah loh may", but I just say "Sah lowm" or something to that extent... :o
"Apple, my sweet sweet Apple."

"Now that you've promised to rout the enemy, please tell me how we're going to do that..." - Percival
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

sleepytactician wrote:I always thought Jeane's name was said "Jee-ann" X.X

but if it was said in Japanese, wouldn't it be something like "Je ah neh"?
Yeah, if her name was to be pronounced as "Jee-ann" as you said, her name would be spelled differently in Japanese, like "Ji-ah-nn."
As for Guillaume, I recently asked my French speaking friend how to pronounce it and she replied with "Gee ohm" (or Jhee ohme) and it does actually mean William. Why couldn't they just call him William then?? XD
Probably because they wanted something that sounded French, and wasn't really going for the meaning. Why should they go for William, anyways?
And, does anyone know how exactly to pronounce Salome's name? I've heard different things, such as "Sah loh may", but I just say "Sah lowm" or something to that extent... :o
It's supposed to be "Sah-loh-may" for Salome in Suikoden 3, but the same name can be pronounced as "Sah-lohm" as well.
sleepytactician

Post by sleepytactician »

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me :3 I can now proudly say Salome's name without feeling like an idiot for pronouncing it wrong.

As for the "William" thing, I was really just jokin' around ^^ Guillaume is a different take on a regular name, which is cool. Just... it confuses us fans so much when they pick obscure names like that. @.@
"Apple, my sweet sweet Apple."

"Now that you've promised to rout the enemy, please tell me how we're going to do that..." - Percival