[Guide] Non-random (optional) battle information

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Non-random (optional) battle information

Post by KFCrispy »

This (incomplete) guide focuses on forced battles including "optional" ones that are forced based on choosing a certain response (how was the player to know without reading a guide?) that you may not have to win.

Hugo 1
-Melville's duel vs Guillaume: Hugo has the option to do a quest with Melville's "knights" in Northern Cavern while he has to pass time in Vinay del Zexay, and this duel at the end of the dungeon is unwinnable.
-Leo and Percival when escaping Vinay del Zexay: choosing "No chance" will force Hugo, Sgt Joe, and Lulu into this challenging battle, and you must win or survive 3 turns--the resulting scene will be the same. Choosing "There's no reason to believe you" will avoid battle thanks to Fubar coming to the rescue.
-duel vs Chris at Karaya Village: if you play Hugo 1 before Chris 1, Hugo can choose "You'll pay dearly!" to attack Chris. You are meant to lose or draw after 3 turns, and winning does not change the dialogue after the duel

Geddoe 1
-generic lizards at Great Hollow: if you do not defeat the lizards within a certain number of turns, the battle ends, but if you get wiped out it's Game Over.
-"Chris" at Great Hollow: losing is the normal route; winning is difficult
-Aila at Karaya Village: this is a pretty easy battle but if you do not defeat Aila's party within 3 turns, the battle ends, and Aila and Queen exchange some words! If you win, Aila's party is kneeling down, weakened by the defeat.
-Borus at Karaya Village: choosing "I have an inkling" will result in a challenging battle vs Borus and 2 Zexen Knights using only Queen and Geddoe. Losing means Game Over!

Hugo 2
-Man in Black at Ancient Highway: choosing "Let's talk to them" OR "Hmm, what's the best way..."+"Hold on now!" will pit your party against the infamous Man in Black. Winning and losing will have their own scenes, and the game will continue.
-Zexen Knights at Great Hollow: choosing "Sergeant, we must join!" will initiate an battle you must win.

Chris 2
-duel with Lucia at Great Hollow: if you play Chris 2 before Hugo 2, Chris can choose "Stop these foolish accusations!" then "So be it" when talking to Lucia to enter a duel. Both winning and losing have their own scenes. Note that if Chris loses, there's a plot-hole, as there is no mention of Harmonia during this scene, and the next scene continues as if Harmonia was the reason they pulled back (because the other dialogue choices lead to the Harmonia news)-- Chris's first line asking about Harmonia seems completely random this way.
-Shiba at Iksay: choose "I'm read to take you on". Losing means Game Over.
-duel with Jimba at Iksay: winning and losing have their own scenes. I'm sure many players have not seen the losing scene for this one!

Geddoe 2
-Franz, Rubi at Le Buque: immediately upon entering Le Buque, the Mantor Trainers will attack (so prepare before entering). You can win or draw after several turns (far more than the normal 3) for different scenes--a draw will result in Geddoe's team complementing the soldiers, but losing will get Game Over.
-Duke's squad and Masked Bishop & Sarah at Flame Champion's Altar: choosing "Sorry, but we have to keep going" OR "We're both in the defense force"+"Sorry, but we have to keep going" will force you in a battle with Duke's team with the chance to go after the Masked Bishiop himself.
1. Against Duke's team, you can win or draw after several rounds (losing gets Game Over). By drawing, Duke will offer to duel, and Geddoe can agree or tell Ace to do it (PICK THIS OPTION!), but regardless of the choice, the Masked Bishop will be done with his inspection and everyone will leave (it plays out the way "That bishop is up to something" ends).
2. If you defeat Duke's team, you will immediately battle the Masked Bishop and Sarah. Note that you will not be given the opportunity to access the menu after defeating Duke's team. Winning and losing have their own scenes.

Hugo 3
-Hugo at Brass Castle when meeting Mua and Hallec: choosing "This time will be different!" will initiate a battle with Leo and Roland. Mua and Hallec will join and you can change the formation. Losing means Game Over.

Chris 3
-Man in Black in Kuput Forest: this battle is winnable but it's ok to lose
-Fight against Man in Black, Masked Bishop, and Sarah: this battle is winnable but it's ok to lose

Geddoe 3
-duel vs Duke at Northern Cavern: you must win this duel in order to continue the game.

Thomas 2
-Battle with Zexen Knights after the strategy battle: The battle can be won, but you can also survive for a few turns to get an alternate dialogue (Thomas will say to retreat as quickly as possible).
-Battle with Zexen Knights inside the castle: You cannot with this fight and must survive several turns.

General (scenes that can be trigger by any character)
-Rescue Shabon / duel with Guillaume in Vinay del Zexay: Once your character can recruit for Budehuc, if you talk to Nei you will unlock a forced duel with Guillaume if you walk anywhere near the central government building in Vinay del Zexay. Losing means Game Over.

Chapter 5
-Sarah and Masked Bishop in Mt. Senai: You can win this battle and score a Wind Magic Ring. Losing is ok.
-Sarah in Kuput Forest: You can win this battle and score a Drain Rune. Losing is ok.
gildedtalon

Re: [Guide] Non-random battle information

Post by gildedtalon »

Leo and Percival when escaping Vinay del Zexay, you only have to survive 3 turns
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks! updated
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Generic lizards at Great Hollow, game over if party is wiped out
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks again
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

in Geddoe chapter 2, i was trying to lose to Duke's team to see what happens and ended up in a draw after a bunch of turns.. i got really really excited when i discovered a brand new scene! Ace and Duke start talking and both want Geddoe to duel Duke! Geddoe can choose to accept or tell Ace to do it (Ace gets freaked out LOL)! However, there is no actual duel, as the Masked Bishop and Sarah come out having finished their inspection, and they all leave.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

I did some research similar to this topic for the Four Destroyers because I want them to actually have more to do in their chapter than is actually available.

So, here are the boss battles, that I know of, were you fight any of the Four Destroyers. The first list is the boss battles that are normal gameplay for the Four Destroyers; the second list is the boss battles that Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe can go on and win (for all of these Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe battles, I can't remember which battles are Game Overs and which battles will continue the storyline):

The Four Destroyers Playable Boss Battles:
1. Alma Kinan (Chris Ch. 3)
2. Ancient Highway (Hugo Ch. 2)
3. Serenia (Beginning of Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe Ch. 4)
4. Great Hollow (Geddoe Ch. 1)

The Four Destroyers Nonplayable Boss Battles:
1. Mt. Senai (Geddoe Ch. 2 & 5)
2. Kuput Forest (Chris Ch. 3 & 5)
3. Duck Clan Village (Flame Champion Ch. 4)
4. Cyndar [Sindar] Ruins (Flame Champion Ch. 4)
5. Ceremonial Site (Flame Champion Ch. 5)

----------------

NOTE 1: I realize, just today in fact, that this info can be culled from this Suikoden III Gameplay Guide: SIII Bosses. That said, I think did find out this information on my own when the game first came out, though, and only used that guide as reference check for the chapter. Doesn't really matter anyway because I don't care about getting credit, this note was just in the case of full disclosure.

NOTE 2: Anytime 'Reincarnation' is reference in that guide, it should probably read: 'Rune Incarnation'. That's because, in-game, the abbreviation is 'RIncar' not 'Rincar' (i.e.: the I is capitalized rather than lowercase). Also, 'Rune Incarnation' is probably a better fit because the definition of incarnation is to, "embody in flesh", which better describes what the True Elemental Runes do in the game.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

KFCrispy wrote:in Geddoe chapter 2, i was trying to lose to Duke's team to see what happens and ended up in a draw after a bunch of turns.. i got really really excited when i discovered a brand new scene! Ace and Duke start talking and both want Geddoe to duel Duke! Geddoe can choose to accept or tell Ace to do it (Ace gets freaked out LOL)! However, there is no actual duel, as the Masked Bishop and Sarah come out having finished their inspection, and they all leave.
You never see that scene? I have tried all the choices in the game long ago, like 5-10 years ago
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm playing it on emulator for the first time; on PS2 it would be too much effort to replay sections over and over, hoping for the right results. i used to save state and remove equipment to try to lose and it ended up in a draw, so afterwards i reloaded it, fought in a random battle to drop everyone's HP.... so it's a lot of work for each section.