Troll Dragons hate Roland?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Silvermouse

Troll Dragons hate Roland?

Post by Silvermouse »

My party was Chris + all the knights (except Edge instead of Salome), and everytime in Cyndar ruins, 100% of the time, whenever I fought a troll dragon it would go straight for Roland. I moved him to the front, side to side, etc., but they still would go right for him.

If I fought 3 of them, all 3 would fly over and blast him. Is this because they hate range fighters? His runes were double-strike and great hawk, if that makes a difference somehow. It's like they knew he had a double-strike rune and wanted to punish him for it.
GordianKnot

Post by GordianKnot »

I have found that enemies won't leave Jacques alone when I'm in Geddoe's chapters. Regardless of where I put him... perhaps enemies just don't care for long-range attackers.
adrich
Elite Member

Post by adrich »

Some enemies seem to naturally target certain types of fighters. For example, in my experience, Nariquas (in the Flame Champion Hideaway) always seem to target female characters.
iSera

Post by iSera »

The way I see it they have certain basic "AI" tactics... mostly from the two points "attack weakest characters so have more chances of killing one" or "attack character more eager to do devestating damage, or certain type of unwanted attacks"
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

Maybe I should get a firefly rune for Leo or something. As for Nariquas, I think they just hate other girls :?
Seanykins

Post by Seanykins »

Yeah, that's what I did and it worked really well. When you get Leo's armor up there he's almost totally invulnerable to physical attacks. I to also noticed that they were naturally drawn to the archers. Also, firefly runes work well on mages if you're going against enemies who frequent with spells. Estella, Viki, and Rody can all buff their magic resistance pretty high.

As for the frequent targeting, it might have to do with the fact that archers generally have low defenses. Yeep .-.
kanzuki

Post by kanzuki »

Silvermouse wrote:Maybe I should get a firefly rune for Leo or something. As for Nariquas, I think they just hate other girls :?
True, Nariquas hate girls characters. They damage every single girl in my party. Maybe they're jealous? LOL
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

kanzuki wrote:
Silvermouse wrote:Maybe I should get a firefly rune for Leo or something. As for Nariquas, I think they just hate other girls :?
True, Nariquas hate girls characters. They damage every single girl in my party. Maybe they're jealous? LOL
If you don't have a girl, they'll target Augustine lol
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Didn't one of the Lizard Clan guys say something about the "unlucky" members get targeted more often?

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I wonder if Jacque, Roland and even Lulu's luck is the lowest of the groups...
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Luck plays no role in determining who is struck.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sol Fury

Post by Sol Fury »

I noticed that at the Cermonial Site. Roland was forever being singled out for attack. I tried equipping him with a Skunk rune, and that helped matters. I also gave him the best armour I could to minimise damage taken.
Still, kind of strange he was always a target. Guess airbourne enemies go after archers since they've got a better chance of hitting them up there? Guess that's what you meant by AI iSera.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hm, if it IS due to luck (try out by using Roland and some non-archer with lower luck...), then you can eliminate using Blue Ribbon for some of the girls that have Double-Strike and not-so-great protection on them if they simply have high luck! some ppl in gamefaqs (Matt620 and BlindTelescope, etc) promote using Blue Ribbon on physically "stacked" (in terms of runes!) women to no end.. me and Korn don't use it at all. still, nothing bad happens in our games.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I don't think its by Luck. Jacques and Roland don't have considerably lower Luck ratings than their counterparts. At the rate that characters attack them as opposed to the others in their groups, they would have to have like half the luck value of everyone else. But I don't even think they're the lowest in the groups, let alone that much lower.
I think at most it would just be archer characters being targetted by airborne enemies. That might be because airborne enemies can always reach them. Ground enemies might not target them if they're in the back just because its easier to reach someone else. Of course, that factor might be preprogrammed into the AI, so even when ground enemies can reach the archers, they don't necessarily attack them. Similarly, the airborne enemies may not attack s-range enemies in the back because the AI knows for them to pose a threat, they'll have to come to the front anyway. So the only enemy the AI thinks can pose a threat from out of melee range is the archers, and thus the enemies who can easily reach them are programmed to attack them.
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:(snip)
Edit: I mean, have the Lizard Clan members ever been known for saying anything smart at all?
hehe, that should've been my first clue :D

I'm going to have to agree that bow users pose the largest threat to airborne enemies so they would be prime targets from the enemy's viewpoint.
ender_maker

Post by ender_maker »

It seems to me that enemies like to attack archers, whcih makes sense; archers can reach them no matter where they are and because of the distance factor, they will be harder to attack by any physical means. Smart AI, I tell ya