Max 1 Swing

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
BoarRune

Max 1 Swing

Post by BoarRune »

Hey guys, been playing through Suikoden 3 for the first time in years and I was reading through all the guides, such as the swing guide.

It says for guys like Leo he has 1 max swing. So I messed around with codes and boosted his swing skill to S and bumped his speed up, I get him to 3 swings.

What I don't understand is, they've obviously gone to the effort to program in an additional 2 swing animations for Leo... Is it at all reasonably possible to get him at 3 swings minus codes?

By "reasonably" I mean not level 99 with 100 speed stones or something.
eldrasidar

Re: Max 1 Swing

Post by eldrasidar »

it's worth noting that numerous things in suikoden 3 were only half thought out, due to the lead designer leaving mid-development, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume for example that there were various title or equipment bonuses that never were implemented that might have given Leo the ability to get a second or third swing, particularly if he is already right next to his target.

As it currently stands however, I don't think it's possible for Leo to get a 3rd swing in any reasonable manner. Leo has a weapon with the highest weapon weight. There's only two characters with the same weapon weight as Leo who can get additional attack normally: Hallec and Landis. Hallec gets extra attacks by having an S in swing; Landis on the other hand only has a B in swing, but has one of the best speed growth rates in the game.

There's no way for Leo to get his swing up to match Hallec, but it is definitely possible to emulate Landis. You invariably will need a gale rune, and probably blood armor to raise his speed up, as well as the Top Commander Appointment to boost Leo's swing to B. You'll also need a fair bit of luck, as Leo's base Speed will need to hit 107. This is important as 107x1.5=160.5 + 20(blood armor bonus) = 180: the maximum speed value that will effect additional swings at B rank swing skill.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Max 1 Swing

Post by KFCrispy »

SPD has a maximum effect, so pumping the SPD skill won't get Leo even a 2nd swing without changing the Swing skill grade. the max Swing skill grade and weapon weight determine the cap, while pumping SPD is only necessary to reach the cap if it's currently too low.

and i don't think it's "short-sighted" to program the maximum number of swings for all characters.. it's better to have it ready so that they don't have to go back and add animations in case they suddenly decide to change some stats and encounter a game crash since the animation wasn't available, etc. another example of last-minute changes could be that they let more characters use the White Rose Brooch or make another title that bumps Swing further up---these changes can be done last-minute, and if Leo didn't have animations for more swings, the game would break due to trying to be smart about what animations and dialogues to leave out.

just like in Suikoden 2, it is perfectly fine that the game provides dialogue for Jowy in your party if you defeat the Beast Rune with him hacked in, as well as Futch having dialogue in the Greenhill arch even though you are not supposed to have recruited him yet----what happens is the stories and rules might be changed during the development of the game.... another example is being able to recruit LC Chan in Matilda even though later on they swapped the order of the story.