Skill slot codes

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Skill slot codes

Post by Pyriel »

I wondered if you were going by the memory map for PCSX2, but everyone else was talking in terms of cheat codes. I played the odds. Also, I well remember that Hugo starts at 0x196E78C (or at least that's where his experience is), so you're in the ballpark with your random example.
lucalives

Post by lucalives »

You guys are over my head with the memory map stuff, I am using PCSX2 cause my PS2 has been forever dead though.
EasymodeX

Post by EasymodeX »

Well the codes basically overwrite a piece of memory that stores whatever data. The codes have an address (memory location) and then the data you want to overwrite. The memory locations are numbered in hexadecimal.

For example, a random code 196E78C08 overwrites memory location 196E78C with data 08. What's at that memory location? Shrug, dunno. Pretending that's a code for Hugo skill slot #1, then the 08 data will mean "Freeze".

4 memory locations to the left is "01" which is Hugo's weapon type.

So you could use code 196E78C ... b ... a ... 9 ... 8 ... code 196E788 to overwrite the weapon type.

Some cheat programs get extra cute and encrypt the codes to make them hard for players to interpret. Gotta watch for that and stuff. Shrug. But it all comes down to "what memory address you want to overwrite with what data?"

If I remember, I'll post a screen shot of that memory area from cheat engine when I get home. It's pretty easy to see when you're looking at the actual data.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

All I meant was that PCSX2 is kind enough to guarantee that the PS2's EE RAM is always the 32 MB of memory starting at 0x20000000, at least in recent versions. So if you're looking at Cheat Engine and the address is 0x2196E78C, the address on a real PS2 will be 0x0196E78C. An unfortunate consequence of this is that it can look like you're talking about codes when you're just referring to PCSX2's addresses.
EasymodeX

Post by EasymodeX »

Er, I was explaining for lucalives because he's new to the concepts and I didn't have anything better to do.

Edit:

The fixed positioning of the ram is soooo damn convenient though, yeah.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I was talking to him too, since he specifically mentioned a term I used being over his head.
ronnen

Post by ronnen »

//fred has more free slots?
patch=1,EE,01999e2c,extended,00000005

in pnach format the above code will give Fred 5 free skill slots (to go with his 3 fixed skill slots)

// Raw code / codebreaker format
01999e2c 00000005

codes are in the same character order as on http://www.herrvillain.com/codebreaker/suikoden/codes/

Each character block in this area is 0x84 in size... so since lucia is immediately before fred in character order, her code would be
1999DA8 0000006

She has only 2 fixed slots, so you need to give her 6 free slots to compensate.

The rune slots (head, r arm, l arm) and fixed skill slots and stat growth rate for the characters is in this same information block, so I'm busy compiling a set of codes for all chars for this.