[Question]Suikoden III Canonical Final Party

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
ninjaluc79

[Question]Suikoden III Canonical Final Party

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I finally got my own copy of Suikoden III but I still can't get the PS2 emulator to work. But I'm still planning to play the game once I figured out how.

So anyways, I watched this video from YouTube where the four Elemental TR bearers fight the fifth one, Luc, to a final battle. I was impressed by the uploader's strategy of spamming high level magic and low level magic only to counter Canopy Defense. I thought for a second that magic sucked in S3 until he defeated the final boss in under 9 minutes with just magic spells and some physical attacks from the FC Candidates.

So the party in the video only composed of the following: Hugo, Chris/Sasarai, and Geddoe. I thought of Thomas in the final party, but I heard that his stats were pretty bad but he can be pretty decent with the right build. So I'm left with either Cecile or Fubar. I'm inclined to take Cecile with Thomas, but I'm also considering taking Fubar with Hugo.

So two questions:

1. Who else should I take with me for the canonical final party?
2. Is it true that magic sucks in Suikoden 3?

Resurrection was not present in this game (but given it's THE most useless rune in the Suikoden games...), and I was not particularly impressed with the Shield Rune, although it's given that it's just a lower level version of the Bright Shield Rune from Suikoden 2. Everything else gets a pass in my book, especially Jongleur as a welcome addition to the series. Although, some people say Magic Sword sucks and magic can be easily beaten by physical attacks from characters like Emily and Juan.

But the last one is pretty much a standard Suikoden problem for me anyway. In the end, though, after playing Suikoden 2 several times, I realized that magic can be just as overpowered as physical attacks as long as you know what you're doing, especially when dealing with enemies with overpowered health and physical defenses. Elemental affinities really changed the way magic works in this series.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [Question]Suikoden III Canonical Final Party

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personally i've always used the 4 TR bearers in my final party,because it seems more "story-based" and it's my only chance to use Sasarai in battle. For your last party except the 4 TR bearers,use Thomas and Koroku (seriously!),but don't worry because Hugo,Chris,Geddoe and Sasarai are enough to beat the final boss,so it doesn't matter who else you would use.

So it would be the 6 characters which appear in the Trinity site. Although normally the 6th character is Luc,but after Sasarai is supposed to be the same with Luc....then it's okay to use him.

No magic doesn't suck. I've always used magic in the last boss and it wasn't hard at all. But try to take off the Water Rune first,so it cannot ressurect the other Runes,and then the Earth Rune. Afterwards try to take off the other 3.

PS. I disagree about the Ressurection Rune. It's much better than the Wind Rune,which was the worst of all the elemental Runes imo,and it's very useful against enemies like Skeletons or Zombies.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

The wind rune is my favorite elemental rune (or the cyclone rune, to be specific).

Compared to the Earth rune or SIII's interpretation of the fire rune, it's fantastic
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I'll go with Thomas and Cecile, then.

Sure, Resurrection is good, but unless Fire has a friendly-fire feature like in Suikoden 3, it's still better in dealing with undeads than Resurrection. But hey, at least you don't have to wait until the late game to obtain a revival spell unlike with Water/Flowing.

Sure, the Wind rune pretty much sucks, but the Cyclone Rune is awesome, though not as awesome as the others. So yeah, Wind is actually the suckiest element in later games. It only shined in Suikoden 1, I guess, because you need a balanced party of fighters and magicians to beat the Golden Hydra and there were no elemental affinities so MAG was a very important stat for magicians.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I don't think Thomas is as bad as some suggest if you train him up, and he also has the highest wind affinity iirc. He's also the tenkai so it feels a little weird to leave him out. Having Fubar is also a good idea. Chris is much more of a physical fighter than a mage, but the 99 trick is an easy way to fix that.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Since I don't feel like cheesing on my first playthrough of Suikoden 3, I won't try the level 99 trick just yet. But since the first and third level spells of the True Water Rune are healing spells, I guess Chris could work as a Paladin-type Mage Knight even with a low MAG stat, although she won't get to cast Heavenly Drops on a normal playthrough.

From how I see it, Thomas has a pretty high critical rate so it offsets his initially low damage a bit during the early game. He also has a lot of free skill slots too, so I might as well get all six of his other combat skills aside from an A+ in Parry and I would still have a slot to spare for an A+ Wind Magic skill. Not bad. Fury/Cyclone should do it.

If I just wanted to see Heavenly Drops on a normal playthrough, I might as well make Chris the FC so Hugo gets the TWR and a level 4 MP slot easy, but that won't be canon, right?

Another question: Should I get Accuracy or Holy Dash if a character has a better H-Dash rank than Accuracy?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I say go for HD first, but if they can't hit the broad side of a barn without accuracy switch to that.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I was not particularly impressed with the Shield Rune
Actually, I used Aila with the Shield Rune for most of my first playthrough. I like using melee characters so the chance to make them Berserk with Battle Oath, as well as raise any mage's power with Battlefield really helped out in a lot of situations.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I meant that I was not impressed by Battle Oath in S3 because it only offers a chance to Berserk and nothing else. It should be able to at least heal by a small amount, but no, since Shield is just a lower-level version of the Bright Shield Rune.

Sure, the Bright Shield Rune did not offer Battlefield in S2, but if Riou was ever playable in this game, I bet he would have good stats, physical skills, and at least A in Shield magic; AND a Level 4 spell that a regular Shield rune doesn't have.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I think Battle Oath is pretty good where it is. Even a spell that Berserks one character is powerful. 40% chance for each guy? That's huge. Adding a heal onto that would make it the best support/defensive spell in the game, that's a little much
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Magic doesn't suck. Physical can just be boosted far higher.

Example:
Current play through in chapter 3 Hugo:
Hugo / Nei (Hugo Fury and killer, Jongleur of course for nei)
Emily / Fubar (Emily with Lion rune, fubar with fury)
Sgt. Joe / Shabon (Fury and water on joe, fury and lion on shabon)

All treasure bosses die in the first round, usually before my sixth person even goes.

Hugo attacks.
Fubar attacks.
Joe Attacks.
Nei uses song of madness.
Emily uses lion rune (usually boss dies, it does like 3-4k with her at level 12 weapon and level 48)
Shabon uses lion run (usually does 2-3k)

Lion rune is nice on them because it activates after jongleur.

Magic gets the job done, sure, but broken physical characters + jongleur can't be beat.

On the final boss, my Yuiri did like 12k (one hit was triple crit jongleur) in one attack round alone on the boss.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Very well. For the final party I'll go with:

Hugo/Thomas
Chris/Cecile
Geddoe/Sasarai

Many thanks.