[Character Discussion] Lilly Pendragon

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
ninjaluc79

[Character Discussion] Lilly Pendragon

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Has anyone used Lilly in at least one playthrough?

If so, what was your most powerful setup with her?

I saw that she has pretty average stats, with SKL at the highest at 06. But she has Repel, Heavy Damage, and Parry by default. She has B+ affinity to Fire and Lightning and a B in Magic Sword. From what I've read, Wizard Hat + 3 Fire or Lightning Magic Rings will raise someone's natural B affinity to either Fire and Lightning to S.

Pretty good Magic Knight right there, yes? I just thought that when I saw her in S3, I was like, "Is this hottie that cute little girl whom Neclord kidnapped in S2?"

What do you think?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [Character Discussion] Lilly Pendragon

Post by Sasarai10 »

When i first saw Lilly,i thought that she was another person with the same name...but when she refered that she is Gustav's daughter,i was like "wow,that spoiled brat turned into a sexy woman"...but her behavior hasn't changed a lot. :mrgreen:

Anyway i didn't use her a lot,only at Hugo's chapter 2 where you are forced to use her...but she is so damn average! Although she has a decent unite attack with Reed & Samus.

In major battles she is the 2nd worst leader after Thomas...she would be defeated very easily.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

You know, I wanted to play 3 so much, but I don't have a PS2 (not even an emulator), so that's kind of frustrating as a Suikoden fan.

As you said, she's pretty average but as much as I LOVE mages, I saw some potential in her as a Fire/Lightning mage, but until I get wind of S3's battle system, I really can't say anything about that.

That is why I'm asking to people who have played this game before and what they think is their best setup for Lilly.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I used her a little more than just when she was forced in, but can't remember if I ever took her to the end battles. If I'm not mistaken, Lilly is a little less powerful than Elaine with lightning and fire (but not bad), but a better physical fighter since she has heavy damage and parry skills. Elaine has precision and rationing skills, so might be more of what you're looking for. I liked using both of them, since you need more balanced parties than in the previous games. Because you level up your characters for war battles, you get opportunities to try out people you might have just ignored otherwise.

Sad that you can't play it yet, as it's a brilliant game. Have you tried looking in pawn shops for a PS2? That's where I got mine and it was relatively cheap. They're probably even less now. Also, thrift stores sometimes carry them for about half of what a decent pawn shop charges (just without warranty).
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

lilly is actually a pretty solid character who doesn't get a lot of credit I think because of reed and samus who are mediocre at best. She has two free rune slots, a high Skl stat, an A in Heavy Damage, B+ in Parry. I'd recommend ignoring any magic skills with her and instead pump up her swing, damage, and holy dash skills, along with repel, heavy damage and parry which are all fixed skills for her. For runes, you have several different options you can pursue. Fury and Double Strike will add the most damage, but she'll take the most damage from them. Fury and Killer would be a safer high damage option since she's already got good heavy damage increasing her likelihood of criticaling. A more defensive option for runes would Haziness and Counter, as the haziness boost her repel, and counter improves her parry attack chance.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So she's better used as a fighter, huh? She reminds me of Sheena or somebody like a poor man's Flik.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

well, I mean with a wizard hat, and a few lightning or fire magic rings, you can tool pretty much anyone including Lilly such that she can be a mage knight, but she'll still have only an okay magic stat, so compared to real mage knight characters she's not very good.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Hehe, I agree. High SKL + average MAG + average LUCK + damage/counter-attack/parry abilities = FIGHTER.

What I love about average fighters with high SKL and/or LUCK (like Sanae's father) is that they have high criticals, and I LOVE critical hits on my fighters.

Say, I saw that Lilly has a B in Magic Sword. So how does SoM work in S3? I know it doesn't stack with magic affinity like in ST and S5.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Poorly. You need an A in sword of magic to make it at least as good as a fury rune, but then because of elemental resistances, it may won't not be as good all the time. This puts it behind both the fury and double strike runes in terms of adding damage to a characters attack, so even on the 4 characters with A's or better, it's still at best a third tier option to fill a rune slot. unfortunately, the 3 character's with A's(Chris, Yuber, and Sanae Y) only have a best 2 slots free, so none of them are likely to use it. Rody has the only S, and three rune slots, so he can make the most use of it, however, in a cruel irony, he is a mage and so is bad at combat anyway.

for other characters, the magic sword runes still compete with Killer and Warrior runes for adding the most damage, and which of those three is best depends a lot on who your equip them to.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

And obviously, I would equip Killer to high-crit fighters, and Warrior to high EVA ones with good armor selections.

On a side note, we would think Konami could have given Edge an A in Magic Sword since he's the current bearer of the SDS, but no, they didn't. Instead, they made him a average-but-decent character at best.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Edge isn't actually that bad. Star Dragon Sword is lighter and more powerful than other two handed swords and he has high SKL and REP, and 2 rune slots. So he is definitely above average, but yeah, he's definitely no Viktor.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So, all in all, seeing Lilly evolve from a cute little kid into a hot chick with a sword is definitely awesome. So once I get my hands on a PS2, I'll build her up as a fighter as per your suggestions.

Thanks.

P.S. Actually Edge is more like Flik to me, so it kinda spawned the question, "What if Flik wielded the SDS instead of Viktor?"
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Edge was one of the best characters of this game,and his lightning magic (along with futch) came in handy during that ice dragon boss fight.

Although he takes only 2 swings..... :(
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

i wouldn't say edge is one of the best characters, as there's at least a dozen I'd put ahead of him, and two swings is a lot for someone with a two handed sword, it's twice as many as everyone else.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

eldrasidar wrote:i wouldn't say edge is one of the best characters, as there's at least a dozen I'd put ahead of him, and two swings is a lot for someone with a two handed sword, it's twice as many as everyone else.

That's because,as you already said, Star Dragon Sword is lighter than Kamui (Duke's sword) for example...that's why he gets 2 swings.

The swing thing,has to do with weapon's weight i suppose...that's why characters with no weapons,like Juan or Emily,can get a lot of swings...