Physical attacker choice : main char as Hugo or Geddoe?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
ninjaluc79

Re: Physical attacker choice : main char as Hugo or Geddoe?

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Haven't played S3 yet, and I don't think I would be able to for a while, but how about the manga-canon party of Hugo, Geddoe, Chris, Thomas or Sasarai, Futch and adult Viki?

My usual RPG party is well-balanced: there's always at least one damage dealer, one tank, one support mage, and an optional offensive mage depending on the situation. My RPG strategy is most often the Stone Wall: improve defense and magic resistance first before offense. Sure, battles will take MUCH longer but I find it more fun than just auto-attacking all day.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

my recollection is that Sasarai was disappointing, so I'd probably go with Thomas over him(if you can get his magic up to 101, he's an awesome wind magic user). I'd go with kid viki over adult viki, since kid viki doesn't occasionally have her magic backfire on her, doing her damage, as big viki will do from time to time. Otherwise, I've done this party before for the final battle. it works alright, but most of the work is going to be coming from geddoe and his true lightning rune if you don't prepare everyone accordingly.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Well, that, and Futch has a mounted pair with Bright that you would like to try.

So you mean, *True Earth is useless? I thought *True Earth is overpowered because it has Canopy Defense as its level 3 spell. Since he is a mage, he will have LOTS of Lv3 MP to spam CD with. I guess the long casting time kills the party with him.

Speaking of Thomas, the stat growth guide list his MAG rank as 02. 85 MAG @ lv 60 is pretty bad for a mage, so probably a stat stone trick or leveling him up to 99 so his MAG hopefully reaches 101 could help. I would make him an attacker instead and have him paired with Cecile since he has high TECH+LUCK which determines Critical Rate. Too bad he doesn't have the Heavy Damage skill.
Last edited by ninjaluc79 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

True Earth has Canopy Defense for its level 3, but who cares? Most people want to be able to launch the glorious level 4 spell (Land of Eternity), not a common spell that's already available in lesser runes!
http://suikosource.com/runes/list/?rune ... ikoden%203
Sasarai is not under-rated at all but he is support-oriented (True Earth, Flowing) and is not very flexible since he only has 1 open rune slot. his A in Pale Gate is not so interesting because the rune itself is weak vs your Thunder and Rage Runes.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I said he was disappointing, not bad. My major beef is that his true earth rune is really slow, compared to the other true runes available to you. so spells like canopy defense can often go off after the wind rincar and friends have already cast some spells. And of course, because they can cast multiple spells a turn, canceling out one of them isn't necessarily all that helpful in the first place. Using the flowing rune is more effective defensively in my opinion, but then, you've got a true water rune doing that better.

And yes, I realize Thomas has a tough time getting to a decent magic stat, but a natural A+ in wind magic is awesome. He also does pair pretty well with Cecile, although Cecile's can get in a little trouble for the last battle since her magic defense is her one weak spot defensively.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

If you chose Chris as your True Water Rune bearer, she would normally suffer from the same low MAG problem as Thomas. But when you realize True Water has Kindness Rain as its level 1 spell, low MAG really doesn't matter if you have at least 6 charges of Kindness Rain available.

Oh well, guess you really need to work hard to get the Shining Wind spell for Thomas.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Er, you still have 100 stars there to choose, why so obsessed with Thomas? If you relly need someones decent to use wind magic , why not Yuiri? she has A grade in wind affinity and high magic stats, free 2 rune slots too.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Well, to emulate the manga, I guess. Otherwise, there are indeed more characters to choose from.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Being a fan is tough, i guess :D
I love looking at chris in her commoner outfit , but would not use her just because of her look.
if i remember right, the manga ends with a scene between Hugo and Chris playing Romeo and juliet, right?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

And I love the challenge of utilizing under-used characters to their maximum potential. It's so boring to just auto-attack your way through bosses, after all.
lordyuanshu

Post by lordyuanshu »

ninjaluc79 wrote:And I love the challenge of utilizing under-used characters to their maximum potential. It's so boring to just auto-attack your way through bosses, after all.
Well said. I've always said that to people asking me who to use on Suikoden; use who you like, the games aren't hard enough to warrant using the best characters. Thus I always use random weird characters.

Same goes for the level 99 trick in Suikoden III or the Matilda guard trick in Suikoden II; why mutilate what is left of the difficulty in these games?
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

Aptitude as Flame Champion: Chris> Geddoe> Hugo. Chris is the best choice since she has the charisma of a hero and also the total support of the Zexen Federation and people;not to mention direct excess to the Guild's armoury and item stocks. Geddoe is a very solid choice. Hugo, a poor choice since he's still rather impulsive, young, and immature.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!