Drop rates bug with mounted pair or high/combined LUK?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Drop rates bug with mounted pair or high/combined LUK?

Post by KFCrispy »

even though he won't want to believe it, Sin Jackal's experience could have just been luck o the draw. i don't think they should drop as often as 7 in 25 battles anyway.... i'd think 1 or 2 out of 25 battles is much more normal.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

amusingly, the original poster of the thread on gamefaqs is doing further testing now, and finding his results beginning to average into mine supporting the conclusion that mounting/unmounting doesn't really have any major effect on item drops.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's pretty rare, in my experience, for stats to play into things like item drops. It usually factors into critical hits, theft, and things of that nature, when it's used. It's essentially just a wild-card stat that can be used to boost the chances of a character succeeding in its own actions. I can tell you right now that none of the Suikoden games I've messed with take LUK or any other stat into account when figuring out a drop. It might be possible that it indirectly plays a role in some circumstances, like the Hunter Rune in 2. I'm pretty sure the 5% hit chance is flat, but I've never actually investigated whether or not LUK or other stats play a roll in getting a hit when you wear it.

In this guy's case, it sounds like real-world luck. He just had a good day, and his PS2 felt like churning out random numbers that were favorable. If someone finds a configuration or a sequence of actions that actually increases their drop chances, or guarantees a drop, they've probably stumbled onto an RNG manipulation. People playing FF XII went nuts with that crap. There are guides online explaining how to guarantee yourself rare items by hitting yourself under a full moon and then fleeing from everything until you get a treasure chest.