How to recruit Arthur in Chris chapter 2?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Lovestar

How to recruit Arthur in Chris chapter 2?

Post by Lovestar »

Hello everyone. I've been playing through GS3 again this year, and I worked out a rather detailed recruiting order for every character based on personal, gameplay, and/or storytelling reasons.

So far it's been going perfectly, but I have planned to recruit Goro in Chris chapter 2. To facilitate this, I planned to recruit Arthur in C/2 as well to provide the needed Appraisal skill. According to this guide on Suikosource, Arthur can be recruited in C/2.

I've had no luck doing this, though. Arthur is in the mess hall, and he asks Chris for info; she replies "All I know is that I heard someone tried to break through the checkpoint" and the interaction ends. I've interviewed every single person in Brass Castle (to be safe) and spammed every square pixel of the kitchen / stove / oven / chimney / log pile. Nothing happens.

I've done this process right at the beginning of C/2 (after opening Lake Castle recruiting immediately after leaving VdZ). I did it again after completing the Great Hollow skirmish, again after Chris fainted on the way back to VdZ, and again after Percival invited me to Iksay and joined party. No results.

Geddoe 1-3, Hugo 1-3, and Thomas 1-2 are already completed. I have not previously touched, spoken to, or attempted to recruit Arthur with any of them. I know recruiting is functioning for Chris, because I've already been to Lake Castle and I've picked up both Jeane and Melvin/Elliot already in C/2.

I want Goro present for the Iksay infinite battles, because his passive healing with Bath is OP. Would anyone mind verifying that you actually can get Arthur in C/2, and if so, help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? :)
eldrasidar

Re: How to recruit Arthur in Chris chapter 2?

Post by eldrasidar »

You Can't use Chris to get Arthur, even though he shows up then, because you are supposed to discover the secret passage with Nash at the end of the chapter. Sorry, it's not possible to get Goro with Chris before the infinite battles point, although Mio is potentially available for recruitment, once you enter Iksay, you can't leave to put her in your party.

That being said, the infinite battles aren't all that valuable as a leveling device or for getting equipment, particularly considering the level 99 trick from Chris Chapter 1. His massive healing is only overpowered if you've failed to properly improve Chris' and Percival's skills. Neither of them should be taking much damage at all, and you can just hide Nash behind one of them for safety. Having Jeane or Louis with their healing skill, along with some medicine should be more than enough to keep you alive indefinitely.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

eh, louis is not available at that point
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Lovestar

Post by Lovestar »

Ah, Jeane. Oops. That would've worked fine, in retrospect — I forgot about her subpar Heal skill. I did think of Louis as a last resort, but he can't be used right before Iksay.

What you're saying makes sense (regarding why Arthur wouldn't be recruitable in C/2), but it's contradicted by multiple sources that I checked before planning my recruitment order, all of which indicate Arthur can be recruited by Chris as soon as she has access to Lake Castle — providing H/1 has been completed already, which I did.

This includes the GS3 108 Stars guide here on Suikosource, and multiple other GS3 FAQs. So, I was hoping there was some trick or story point I was overlooking. It seems not, though, since I'm now past Iksay and I'm at the last possible point before C/2 ends — still not working.

If anyone has ever managed it, I'd love to know how, just to satisfy my curiousity at this point. :)
Lovestar

Post by Lovestar »

So, I got the idea today that maybe you could recruit Arthur at the very last second in C/2 by refusing to join Nash the first night. In story terms, Chris would be "aware" there were secret passages in Brass Castle once Nash popped out from behind a bookcase, right?

No luck, though. Arthur still won't recruit. So, unless someone can verify their experiences to the contrary, I'm going to say I've pretty firmly confirmed that Arthur cannot be recruited by Chris until chapter 4. :(