Double-Strike or Fury?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Silvermouse

Double-Strike or Fury?

Post by Silvermouse »

Which do you think does more damage overall?
Kuromimi
Elite Member

Post by Kuromimi »

Double-strike Rune: Damage x2
Fury Rune: Damage x1.5

Double-strike is the better rune for improving damage, however it does have the downside of increasing the damage taken from physical attacks. Having the Armor Protect skill maxed out might be a good idea when equipped with it. Fighters who have a poor rank in Armor Protect would be better off with Fury. Of course, having both runes attached is even better. ^^
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

I'd love to put one each on Juan and Emily, but oh well =(
I like double-strike better, although boss battles can be a pain when you fight those with AE physical attacks like Ghost Knight.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Try the double-strike, fury, and killer combo on Yuirii. Now add Juan and Jefferson to your party. She was decimating everyone. Remember she has "heavy damage" to her arsenal.

You can also use the medal system to up her heavy damage.

Edit: Err I didn't see Kuromimi's exact post about this. My mistake.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

The description on the Double-Strike rune in S3 DOES say Damage taken and received x2...

Technically "taken" and "received" are the same, referring to being hurt yourself.. At any rate, double-strike is better, because fury status can be added via Sheild rune.
Royal

Post by Royal »

It also depends on what you're intending to get out of each rune, too.

For the army battles, a leveled-up Emily with a Double Strike rune will shred most units she goes up against, because most of the time she'll be able to take down the leader of the other unit before she takes any damage herself. On the other hand, if you bring her into a long fight (like the Water Dragon), the fact that she's also taking double damage means she'll probably be on the ground before two rounds are up.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

Royal wrote:It also depends on what you're intending to get out of each rune, too.

For the army battles, a leveled-up Emily with a Double Strike rune will shred most units she goes up against, because most of the time she'll be able to take down the leader of the other unit before she takes any damage herself. On the other hand, if you bring her into a long fight (like the Water Dragon), the fact that she's also taking double damage means she'll probably be on the ground before two rounds are up.
Which is why it is a good rune to have on Landis for the final battle.. His MGC DEF is godly ( high stat and S ranking in the skill ), meaning he doesn't really take that much damage extra. Use the Condemnation unite with Ayame and you can defeat even the final boss in one round.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Double-Strike Rune does not affect magic damage. if you're facing magical enemies such as Sarah, Double-Strike has no negatives whatsoever! something to think about for you poor fellows who find that battle difficult :P
also, Double-Strike is not as dangerous as it sounds because it only doubles the damage the character receives AFTER his/her defense has decreased the attack value. Armor Protect is still extremely effective this way.

the Wind RIncar usually does magic damage, but it also has the hit-all physical attack that is very powerful.
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

If I would have to choose between these two runes, I would choose double strike, cause most of the time when you get hit hard or when your hp drops to a critical point, fury is caused instantly.
Putting 2 double Strike runes on mounted like futch and bright will give you much advantage, for the chances of getting whooped in 2 or 3 round decreases very much, cause your creature can still atk while you are using medicine.
Zotmaster

Post by Zotmaster »

Another good reason to use Double-Strike is because it's a whole hell of a lot easier to get than Fury. I mean, you can BUY them, whereas with Fury, there's only one good point to get more than one of them, and that's Ancient Highway, Hugo Chapter 3 (yes, I realize it's on that corpse in Mt Hei-Tou, but come on, let's get some reliability).

If you use people with even decent attack capabilities, the negatives of Double-Strike can be pretty much ignored since you'll punch through most enemies with ease. I only use Fury runes if I already have a Double-Strike on a character and want even more damage. Edge, by the way, is a very good person to use both on.
Congratulations, but you're still wrong, Killey.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

In addition, Double-Strike doesn't put you in a special condition, so you can still increase your attack even more by...

1. Violence Rune. DMG x3

2. Boost status. DMG x2. Can be caused by a few recipe items (see the Recipe guide on the site). The boost is cancelled by any Fury status (including Violence Fury, unfortunately)

When you use a Fury rune, you can't do either of those.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

when the Alert Rune kicks in, it will overwrite the status as well. you can only have one at a time..
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The only two status' I've gotten at the same time were Berserk and Magic Sword (its considered a status). So apparently Sword of Magic is a status that can combine with any other one.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ah, true true. actually i saw some code table about status stuff so u could figure out which ones could mix and match but i dunno where right now
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Double-Strike or Fury?

Post by KFCrispy »

this is the oldest thread in the suikoden 3 section, but i never pointed out a big drawback to Double-Strike is that since criticals ignore defense, good PDF doesn't even matter and it's the attacker's total attack getting multiplied by 4 or 6 (2x or 3x critical doubled by Double-Edge) directly against the target's HP. of course in general it's not a problem, but some strategy battles can get hairy if a lucky critical hits your leader.